1753731 Members
4652 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Configure External Boot with MSA1000

Giovanni Trettini

Configure External Boot with MSA1000

Hi all

I have an MSA1000 with DualController, attached to a non-HP server with a QLA2462 card. Currently, the server boots Windows 2003 R2 x64 from a local disk.

I have now configured two volumes on the MSA1000 and connected them to the Windows 2003 installation via the ACU web tool. The volumes are accessible and the access is restricted via SSP to the WWN's from this server.

Now here's the problem: I'd like to configure the server to boot from one of these external volumes. To do this, I need to configure the QLogic cards (enable Bios and select the boot-LUN). Unfortunately, the LUN is not displayed in the QLogic Bios. Bios version is 2.10. Remember, as soon as Windows is up and running, I can access the volumes, even MPIO is properly configured.

I tried to boot the server with the HP StorageWorks Modular San Array 1500 Support Software CD, versions 6.11 and 7.67. The 6.11 version crashes when loading x-Window, the 7.67 version refuses due to incorrect server type.

Question:

What do I need to configure in order to enable the QLogic card to see the volume ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Giovanni
3 REPLIES 3
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Re: Configure External Boot with MSA1000

Enable the Bios

Reboot

Enter the bios again and scan for the lun

have you tried this?

After booting to the bios after it is enabled, check your SAn Switches to see if the card actually logged into the fabric.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Giovanni Trettini

Hi Steven

Thanks for your suggestions, I tried them, but without luck so far. Booting the server with enabled QLogic Bios and then searching for the LUN did not succeed.

As the MSA1000 has its SAN switch integrated, I do not do any zoning. How do I edit or verify the switch configuration ?

Best Regards
Giovanni
Giovanni Trettini

Hi all
I now found out how to access the MSA Fabric Switch 6 and define an optional zoning.
It's still not working, but I'm feeling a big step closer to the solution. Just finding out how to convince the switch to remember the zoning configuration :-)