108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Connecting MSA 1040 10GB iSCSI to Extreme Networks Switch

SOLVED
Go to solution
SteveGlynn
Occasional Contributor

Connecting MSA 1040 10GB iSCSI to Extreme Networks Switch

I purchased an MSA 1040 10GB iSCSI that i'm attempting to connect to my Extreme Networks Switch (via SFP+ ports).  I've had a few conversations with HP and no one seems to be able to tell me what I need and I'm hoping someone here can help.  The MSA comes with 4 iSCSI transceivers (as pictured) IMG_3776.JPG

MSA 1040 10GB iSCSI

And needs cables to attach to a SFP+ card i'll buy for my switch.  After multiple attempts to find out what cables plug into those open ports, I still have no idea.  Multiple attempts (with pictures) to HP support have insisted I need a DAC cable (HP X242 10G SFP+ to SFP+ 3m Direct Attach Copper Cable J9283B)  and I just need to remove and discard the transceivers that shipped in the MSA.  Obviously this solution can not work, since the DAC cables have transceivers attached, and can not conncet to an Extreme Networks switch (they want their own brand). 

Any help is appreciated.  I just need to know what cables are meant to conncet to the iSCSI cables that shipped with the device, so I can buy a transceiver for extreme networks to match it.

Thank you anyone

4 REPLIES 4
kaelanh
Occasional Visitor
Solution

Re: Connecting MSA 1040 10GB iSCSI to Extreme Networks Switch

If the SFP you are purchasing for your switch has an LC connection, this should work for you. The iSCSI trancievers in the photo that you mention are LC Fiber Optic Trancievers.

SteveGlynn
Occasional Contributor

Thank you, I haven't purchased any transceiver yet on the switch side, I believe the highlighted option is the one you are telling me should work (both Duplex and Multi-Mode fiber

If that's correct then thank you so much for all the help, i don't want to waste money ordering the wrong parts

kaelanh
Occasional Visitor

Yes, that should work. Just confirm that the SFP in your MSA is in fact for multimode fiber as well. (I dont see why it would not be MM, but its always good to make sure.)

SteveGlynn
Occasional Contributor

Thank you, for anyone in the future looking for this I verified the card is a MSA 2040 10Gb SW iSCSI SFP card, part number 721000-001(C8R25A) and it does in fact use multi-mode fiber.

Thank you very much for your help