MSA Storage
1752633 Members
5788 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Critical Firmware Upgrade Required For Certain MSA SAS Solid State Drive (SSD) Models

Kipp_Glover
HPE Pro

Critical Firmware Upgrade Required For Certain MSA SAS Solid State Drive (SSD) Models

Good day MSA Community.   I wanted to make you aware of a critical firmware update required for certain MSA SAS solid state drive (SSD) models to prevent drive failure at 32,768 hours of operation.  This issue affects any of the following SAS SSD models running a drive firmware version earlier than HPD8 and installed in an HPE MSA Storage array:

HPE Model Number

Model Description

MO0400JFFCF

HPE MSA 400GB 12G SAS MIXED USE SSD

MO0800JFFCH

HPE MSA 800GB 12G SAS MIXED USE SSD

MO1600JFFCK

HPE MSA 1.6TB 12G SAS MIXED USE SSD

MO3200JFFCL

HPE MSA 3.2TB 12G SAS MIXED USE SSD

HPE was notified by a Solid State Drive (SSD) supplier of a firmware defect affecting certain SAS models listed in the table above.

A critical firmware upgrade is required for certain MSA SAS solid state drive (SSD) models to prevent drive failure at 32,768 hours of operation.  HPD8 firmware is considered a critical fix and is required to address this issue. HPE strongly recommends the immediate application of this critical fix. 

Please reference the Customer Bulletin for more details on how to determine which drive models are configured in the HPE MSA Storage array and how to determine drive power-on hours for an HPE MSA drive.

Resolution:  Immediately upgrade the drive firmware to version HPD8.  Obtain HPD8 for HPE MSA SSDs from one of the following links:
MSA Windows link or MSA Linux link

I work for HPE
13 REPLIES 13
zwollerob
Occasional Visitor

Re: Critical Firmware Upgrade Required For Certain MSA SAS Solid State Drive (SSD) Models

We want to update de firmware but it fails:

We tried using vmware and getting this error:

[root@esxi-prod-13:/var/log/CP042215] ./CP042215.vmexe
Executing ESXi65 binaries and copying to current directory
Online HDD/SDD Flash Component for VMware ESXi - MO0400JFFCF, MO0800JFFCH, MO1600JFFCK, and MO3200JFFCL Drives (HPD8), searching...
============ Summary ============
Smart Component Finished
Exit Status: 3
Update not attempted. All selected devices are either up-to-date or have newer versions installed.

And using windows we used cmd: CPxxxxxxx.exe /target <ip_address> /user <username> /passwd <password> /s

But also no luck. Getting Error:

The installation procedure did not complete successfully. An error occurred during the setup process.

You may look at the setup log file for more details if desired.

Additional Information:
Error while parsing arguments
Unknown/Unexpected Option(s) at: /target
exception while parsing command line arguments
No supported devices to flash
A fatal error occurred. See engineering log for details.

Kipp_Glover
HPE Pro

Please open a case if you are still having issues with drive firmware update. 

I work for HPE
zwollerob
Occasional Visitor

I had contact and it is fixed.
Fabien1
Occasional Visitor

Hello,

Stupid question :

I have this model MO0800JFFCH on ProLiant DL 360 G9 & G10. Is it critical to ? (Actual firmware G9 HDP4, G10 HDP1)

Thanks,

BR

PrashantS
HPE Pro

Hi

IT should be updated. to Version:HPD8 (22 Nov 2019)

Because if we dont update system then it is effected. and will result in failure exactly after 3 years, 270 days 8 hours.

-

The issue affects SSDs with an HPE firmware version prior to HPD8 that results in SSD failure at 32,768 hours of operation (i.e., 3 years, 270 days 8 hours), neither the SSD nor the data can be recovered, after the SSD failure occurs.

Prashant S.

I am a HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

Kipp_Glover
HPE Pro

Hi Fabien1,  

Yes, your drive should be updated to HPD8.   Here is a link to the Proliant Customer Advisory for this issue: 
https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-a00092491en_us

Cheers!
/Kipp

I work for HPE
Fabien1
Occasional Visitor

@PrashantS& @Kipp_Glover Thanks for your help.

Wish you a nice day !

Kipp_Glover
HPE Pro

Good day MSA community.     

I cannot stress enough that everyone should check if they have any of these SSD models installed in their MSA array: 

HPE Model Number

Model Description

MO0400JFFCF

HPE MSA 400GB 12G SAS MIXED USE SSD

MO0800JFFCH

HPE MSA 800GB 12G SAS MIXED USE SSD

MO1600JFFCK

HPE MSA 1.6TB 12G SAS MIXED USE SSD

MO3200JFFCL

HPE MSA 3.2TB 12G SAS MIXED USE SSD

The firmware of these SSD models needs to be HPD8 or newer to prevent potential data loss.  

With the release of the MSA Health Check tool (www.hpe.com/storage/MSAHealthCheck) you can now upload your MSA log file and a complete firmware inventory will occur.  If you have any of these SSD models above the tool will recommend a firmware update to HPD8 and provide the firmware download links.  

Please do not hesitate.  Take action today and upload your MSA log file to the MSA Health Check Tool and review all recommended firmware updates.  

Cheers!
/Kipp

I work for HPE
Kipp_Glover
HPE Pro

Good day MSA Community!

Last week a new version of MSA Health Check was released - Version 1.2.0.  Version 1.2.0 is introducing a new SSD Critical Alert feature to the MSA Storage Health Check tool.

Version 1.2.0 enhancements include:

· New critical alert message if SSD models MO0400JFFCF, MO0800JFFCH, MO1600JFFCK and MO3200JFFCL running drive firmware versions earlier than HPD8 are detected

· Firmware inventory tab will indicate "Critical Alert" next to SSD models MO0400JFFCF, MO0800JFFCH, MO1600JFFCK and MO3200JFFCL running drive firmware versions earlier than HPD8

· New "Alerts" button in MSA STORAGE AND SUMMARY section to view the alert window

As well as the following version 1.1.0 enhancements:

· Added Storage Capacity to MSA Storage and Session Summary

· Reordered tabs, added unhealthy/warning action bubble counters to each of the tab headers

· Added status indicators to Unhealthy Components and Firmware Inventory

· Added Best Practice and Troubleshooting Guide notes and clickable links

· Added Controller Upgrade note and link to HPE Support

· Added Health Check Firmware Versions Up to Date

· Reorganized the list of Health Check items

· Reorganized the list of Unhealthy Components

· Reorganized the list of Firmware Inventory

· Renamed and reorganized the Finish tab steps

· Added serial number and date to the PDF report file name

· Implemented significant improvements to the PDF Health Report

The MSA Health Check team encourages any and all feedback regarding your experience with version 1.2.0. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to us at MSAHealthCheckSupport@hpe.com.

Cheers!
/Kipp

I work for HPE