4683 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion

DR Group Disks !!

Mohamd AL-Kuraimi
Occasional Contributor

DR Group Disks !!

Hi

I have 2 servers connected to EVA 4400 ,one of servers connected with other servers in another data center as a cluster ,and the another one is connected to disks directry

when i tried to open sql from this server (stand alone) the data base is suspected

is there any problem related to shered disks between cluster or it's another problem ?

Amd

8 REPLIES 8
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Re: DR Group Disks !!

There is a lot of background information missing, but:

you MUST NOT mount a disk by two or more servers unless you are using a true shared file system (NTFS an ext2/3, for example, are not), As soon as the second server mounts the disk the corruption has started. Same if you open a database from two non-clustered instances on a non-shareable filesystem.

Hope this is just a test environment or you have a good backup/restore strategy.

Mohamd AL-Kuraimi
Occasional Contributor

Hi Thanks but it was working fine till today and i was using this shared disk in my stand alone server  in case i have big problem with cluster servers < but i dont know what happened today (Disks is there and data and every thing ) but my problem is i can open sql datbase from claster only but from my server sql not working!!

do you thinks the problem happened because of shared disk or it's sql problem

thanks in advance

Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

A "standalone" server does not have shared disks.

Why don't you give us some more information so that we can properly understand your configuration?

- what operating system?

- what file system?

Can you draw and attach a picture with the data path topology?

Mohamd AL-Kuraimi
Occasional Contributor

Hi i will tell you all all info

i have 2 servers in data center A

i have 1 EVA 4400 storage in data center A

i have 2 servers in data center B

i have 1 EVA 4400 storage in data center B

before it was

2 servers in site A and 2 servers in site B (4 servers) CLUSTER (fail over cluster)

now

1 servers in site A and 2 servers in site B (3 servers ) CLUSTER

the forth server i made it as emergency server and shred disks with storage 4400 in site A  with one node of cluster

and we are using CA (continus access) for replication between 2 EVAs

i think u r understand now :)

Mohamd AL-Kuraimi
Occasional Contributor

Hi
Do you think i made a mistake we i made 2 servers (one cluster memeber and another not ) shared same storage disk ??
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hello, I also believe that's what it boils down to yes.

What file system are you using?
Mohamd AL-Kuraimi
Occasional Contributor

Hi

I am using default EVA 4400 file system !!!

and disks in raid 5 !!!

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

The EVA presents a disk - like if it was a physically attached disk in your server. 

When you partition and format that disk - that's when you put a file system on it.