Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Determining what the ip address is for an MSA2312 storage system

Andrew Kaplan
Super Advisor

Determining what the ip address is for an MSA2312 storage system

Hello --

We have an MSA2312 system attached to a Proliant GL380 G5 server. The server is running Red Hat Enterprise Linux, and it has the hpacucli utility. The storage system has six disks configured with RAID 5 spanning all the disks.

Recently, two of the disks on the MSA system failed, and they have been subsequently replaced, along with a new logical drive being created with the knowledge that any data that was on the logical drive is lost. That being said, a tape backup prior to the disk failure had been completed, and it is ready to be used to restore the data.

I am at the point where I am ready to create the operating system's logical drive and filesystem on the array. However, in order to do that, I need to know what is the address of the MSA2312 system. Our documentation for whatever reason does not have that information readily available.

Is there a command that I can run on the Proliant server that will provide me with the network address information of the MSA2312 system?

Thanks.

A Journey In The Quest Of Knowledge
4 REPLIES 4
AnkitM
Trusted Contributor

Re: Determining what the ip address is for an MSA2312 storage system

I believe you have a MSA500 G2 and not the MSA2312. Am I right?

Was your question answered correctly? If so, please remember to mark your question Answered when you get the correct answer and award KUDOS! to the person providing the answer. This helps others searching for a similar issue.
Andrew Kaplan
Super Advisor

Hello --

That is correct. There are six, 6, SAS drives that are 450 gigabytes in size. The entire logical drive is two terabytes.

A Journey In The Quest Of Knowledge
AnkitM
Trusted Contributor

1. Execute #lsblk List out information all block devices, which are the hard drive partitions and other storage devices
2. Verify if the Directly attached MSA500G2's Logical Disk is visible in the list.
3. Once, you identify the Device run fdisk utility to modify partitions on hard drives, and can be used to list out the partition information as well.
4. That's it mount the newly formated partition to required mount point by using #mount

Please, let me know if this works out for you. :)

MSA500 G2 being directly attached to the RHEL Server, there is No IP for the Storage.

Was your question answered correctly? If so, please remember to mark your question Answered when you get the correct answer and award KUDOS! to the person providing the answer. This helps others searching for a similar issue.
Highlighted
Cali
Honored Contributor

Is there a command that I can run on the Proliant server that will provide me with the network address information of the MSA2312 system?

Yes, connect the MSA with the serial Cable to Laptop or Server.

115200, 8, N, 1, N

show network-parameters

(May be you need to Install the MSA USB2Serial .inf File)

======================
That was not planned in this way.