MSA Storage
1753381 Members
5758 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Devices are not seen after zoning (MSA1000-DL580-SAN2/8)

SOLVED
Go to solution
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Re: Devices are not seen after zoning (MSA1000-DL580-SAN2/8)

Karthik,
I may be blind, but I cannot find that document (AA-RS2UH-TE.pdf) on the page you specified. It sound like a good idea to upgrade the MSA and the adapters. I don't think the problem is with the MSA, but I would assume you get newer boot code in the adapter.
Karthik S S
Honored Contributor

I am sorry .. invalid paste error ;-)

http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/storageworks/san/documentation.html
Under SAN Boot section ..

-Karthik S S
For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the quality of life, please press three. - Alice Kahn
Karthik S S
Honored Contributor

Uwe :-),

The problem is resolved now after upgrading the FCA2101 Firmware ....

Previous version:
RB1.61A2

New Version:
RB1.63A1

Thanks a lot for all your help ...!!

-Karthik S S
For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the quality of life, please press three. - Alice Kahn
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Karthik,
I'm relieved to hear you got it working. Congratulations! That was a heavy birth, wasn't it?
Karthik S S
Honored Contributor

Thanks Uwe .. I am relieved too. Also after upgrading FC2101 Bios I could not set the boot device .. it was giving me "Start Unit for LUN 0 failed" in the adapter configuration for saved boot devices.

Hence, I upgraded the MSA1000 firmware also from Rev.2.38 to Rev.4.24. Now everything seems to be working fine.

But the problem with Secure path seeing only through one path is not solved yet. From the Release notes of MSA firmware 4.24 I found that older firmware revisions does not support Securepath v4.x. But even after upgrading to the new firware I see no luck. I think I may need to reinstall securepath or apply servicepack if one exists for ver 4.0C-7.

I am learning a lot though :-)

Thanks,
Karthik S S
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

That version is ONLY for XP storage arrays, but you can try it for fun, of course.
Karthik S S
Honored Contributor

Infact I uninstalled 4.0C-7 and installed 4.0C. But still I can't see the alternate paths (from spmgr display). If I completely remove the securepath I can see all the paths in diskmgmt.

It is going to be a trial and error method for me :-(

Thanks,
Karthik S S
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Karthik,
I beleive it is much more productive if you open a call with HP and ask for a clarification about this behaviour.
Karthik S S
Honored Contributor

Uwe,

I didn't open a call even for EVA3000 ;-) .. how can you expect me to open one for MSA?? :-)) ...

Yes, you are right but you know I am working at HP Software Division, Bangalore (not a employee though) and to your surprise we do not have any support contract for our systems/software with HP Services Division (for our particular project group with in HP ISO ). And as and when it is required we get the help from our Storage software group.

But it has become a habit for me to put hand on everything and do it myself (with the help of ITRC and Uwe ofcourse ;-).

Thanks,
Karthik S S
Karthik S S
Honored Contributor

Now the devices are visible in the Emulex bios after updating the Firmware. I have also selected the boot device as LUN1 of the MSA1000. However when I try to install Windows 2003 it throws an error saying can't install windows (check the attachment).

Have your tried SAN boot with MSA??

Thanks,
Karthik S S