1753779 Members
7785 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Disk Performance - VMWARE 6.7, MSA2040 SAS and software iSCSI

TigerRool10-1
Advisor

Oh! maybe you are correct - maybe there is only one version.  I've no idea!  Maybe Subhajit would know?

fresh

@TigerRool10-1 

I would suggest not to consider any firmware if it's not mentioned in the below website,

www.hpe.com/storage/MSAFirmware

If there was something mentioned like GL225P001 but now it't not there then don't consider this. As HPE follow SPOCK only for support perspective which is updated latest. This HPE tech forum will not discuss anything about future firmware versions.

For MSA2040 FC/iSCSI/SAS GL225R003 is the latest firmware and this is same firmware for all these models.

You can also check SPOCK link,

https://h20272.www2.hpe.com/spock2/Cont/ConfigsetView/index/99069

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

***********************************************************************************

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
Brice13
Occasional Advisor

Ok thanks !

Brice

TigerRool10-1
Advisor

Hi Subhajit

Understood mate - thanks for the information.

fresh
TigerRool10-1
Advisor

removing this comment

fresh
grimson
Advisor

Came here for ESXi6.5U2 support of this MSA2040 model
https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/detail.php?deviceCategory=san&productid=36230
The MSA2040 is a 'rebranded' Dot Hill AssuredSAN 4524 according to Google.
This Dot Hill SAN does support all the way up to ESXi 6.7U2.
So HPE .. at least support the whole ESXi6.5U branch!???

Shawn_K
HPE Pro

Hello,

Just to clarify some confusion that is in this thread. The latest firwmare from the MSA 2040/1040 is GL225P001. This firmware will apply to FC, iSCSI, (SAN) and SAS. GL225P001 is listed in SPOCK and the MSA Firmware site as the latest version.

Additionally, the MSA 2040 is an End of Life array. While these systems are still under active support, HPE will no longer test  and qualify newer OS versions or configurations. This is also why if you check the VMware support site, they do not have their newer OS versions listed with the MSA 2040. 

As pointed out earlier you should check configuration of systems in SPOCK: https://h20272.www2.hpe.com/spock/

For the latest MSA Firmware version please refer to the following link: https://h41111.www4.hpe.com/storage/msafirmware.html

Cheers,
Shawn

I work for Hewlett Packard Enterprise. The comments in this post are my own and do not represent an official reply from HPE. No warranty or guarantees of any kind are expressed in my reply.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

grimson
Advisor

Regarding to ESXi6.5:

Clients buy the MSA2040 and use ESXi6.5 according to the supported configuration.
Then Vmware make updates available like ESXi6.5 patches .. then U1 .. patches .. and U2 comes around.
So HPE forces the client NOT TO PATCH anymore like security of product defects because there are no patches for U1.

HPE forces to keep the client on ESXi6.5U1 for a year now while critical product updates are available but only because they exist in a cumulative update (aka the latest) you cannot update!

So does that nog invalidate the WHOLE ESX6.5 'support'? To me support is all versions of ESXi6.5 and not forcibly witheld the client the U2 and other critical updates. This is no support at all. Better reverse to ESXi6.0 then?

The MSA2040 was a good combi with ProliantGen9 servers, alle Gen9 servers still supported on ESXi6.5U2 .. but the MSA? 
h17007.www1.hpe.com/us/en/enterprise/servers/supportmatrix/vmware.aspx
Not a single DL server stops the support within the ESX6.x lifetime, the MSA does.

How about compatibility to the latest HPE Vipsdepot with ESXi6.5u1? and the firmware updates? Still supported with U1 only? A support mess to find out :(
Well OK http://vibsdepot.hpe.com/hpq/recipes/HPE-VMware-Recipe.pdf page 4 lists U1 supported with april 2019 psp.

I was tempted to update a client with ESXi6.0 to ESXi6.5 or newer but because HPE forbids to update to the latest known updates (and fixes) of ESXi6.5 this is out of the question. And sitting on ESXi6.5U1 with known issues but again CANNOT update because of HPE its not really an acceptable thing is it?

Not a really good sign to your customers if you ask me... please change my mind :)

JeroenL
Visitor

Why not supporting newer VMware updates within the same version, while Microsoft is doing the same with Windows 2016 and it's large Anual updates and here HPE doesn't look behind the "DOT" for the version number.

Windows 2016 as of may 2019 is completely different as Windows 2016 from early 2017, but this IS supported while obviously no testing takes place in these cases as well? How can you garantee data integrity if, as I may quote your own words " HPE will no longer test  and qualify newer OS versions or configurations."?

Why is this different than the VMware situation? Your clients don't ask for ESXi. 6.7 to be supported, they only want their 6.5 versions to be supported so they can remain secure and don't have to complete a jigsaw puzzle each time an update is introduced for their Gen9 Proliant servers.

Now they might be confronted with a "NO Supported configuration" notification if they call support if a minor VMware update forced the U2 installation in the background.

Otherwise introduce a fancy upgrade program and let MSAx04x users upgrade to an MSAx05x version for a reasonable price!