New Discussion юеВ

Re: Drive msa

SOLVED
Go to solution
Henryinf
Regular Visitor

Drive msa

Hello,

We have 600Gb hard drive with the 787642-001 drawer connected to a msa 2040.
Because of lack of space, we had to plug a hard drive with a drawer 870794 on the MSA bay.

We just changed the drawer for the enclosure and the disk is marked.
The question is : Even if it works, is it really recommended ? I haven't found any compatibility matrix for this.

HPE P/N:759202-003 with drawer 787642-001

HPE P/N:875217-002 with drawer 870794

I couldnтАЩt find anything about it.

Best regards,
3 REPLIES 3
Shawn_K
HPE Pro
Solution

Hello,

The drive 870794 is a 600GB SAS HDD but has digitally signed firmware and is designed to work in a Smart Carrier (SC) for a server. This drive is not designed to work in an MSA array due to the firmware being qaulfiied for HPE servers.

The drive will likely not be recognized by the MSA controller. Even if the drive is seen by the controller due to the differences in firmware compatability you run the risk of the MSA controller not being able to fully access the drive or use the full functionality of the drive.

I suggest you only use supported drives in the MSA array in order to provide the best redundancy and functionality.

Cheers,
Shawn

I work for Hewlett Packard Enterprise. The comments in this post are my own and do not represent an official reply from HPE. No warranty or guarantees of any kind are expressed in my reply.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

Henryinf
Regular Visitor

Hello Shawn,

Thanks for the comment.

Is it possible to update the firmware of the disks for better compatibility with the bay?

This one is detected on the bay.

Regards,

Shawn_K
HPE Pro

Hello,

Unfortunately no. The drive is not supported by the MSA controller, so upgrading the drive is not possible.

Cheers,
Shawn

I work for Hewlett Packard Enterprise. The comments in this post are my own and do not represent an official reply from HPE. No warranty or guarantees of any kind are expressed in my reply.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo