cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EVA 4400, SRA, Vmware SRM & BC

Paul Szelesi
Occasional Visitor

EVA 4400, SRA, Vmware SRM & BC

Has anyone implemented Vmware SRM on EVA4400, the pre req's state that the Site Recovery Agent from HP requires BC on both the protected site and recovery site but BC is only used for testing a recovery plan by using a snapshot mounted on the recovery site, if no two way protection is required I cannot see why a BC license would be required on protected site.

has anyone got an answer to this as Unlimited BC is not cheap especially if not really needed.
even if you have set this up and it works ok that would be fine, just dont undersatnd why its asking for two licenses.

thanks in advance
5 REPLIES 5
JasonD
Advisor

Re: EVA 4400, SRA, Vmware SRM & BC

Paul,

I with you 100% on this ... unfortunately I think this is a generic requirement of SRM since the EMC Clariion SRA also requires snapshot capability at both the PROD & DR site arrays ... and it's obviously good business for the array vendors!

Does anyone else have any insight as to why this is so?

Out of interest, have you progressed your SRM implementation with the EVA and if so, what was your experience - were there any pitfalls that I should be aware of?

Also, do you know whether the EVA SRA uses snapshots or clones to create point-in-time copies of the mirror LUNs? I'm hoping it's snapshots, because clones would obviously have a major impact on the amount of disk space required at each site in order to create these PIT LUN copies. For example, the Dell Equallogic SRA uses clones (why oh why? perhaps to sell more disk?).

Cheers,

JD
Paul Szelesi
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for the thoughts, I am starting it in the next two weeks, I am unsure of the BC clone/snapshot as yet, I am hoping to test run for a couple of weeks on the same site before moving to the recovery site so may get to play a while before putting into full production status, we are upgrading the disk shelves but as yet not just for this. i will update this when I have doen adn hoepfulyy help someone with what my experience.
Jeroen_D
Regular Advisor

Hi,

how was your experience?
In a few months I'll be doing the same thing. I will probably stil use SRM 1.0 update 1. I don't know if you already migrated to SRM 4.0?
Jeroen_D
Regular Advisor

Hi,

how was your experience?
In a few months I'll be doing the same thing. I will probably stil use SRM 1.0 update 1. I don't know if you already migrated to SRM 4.0?

TIA
Eugene Minchenko
Occasional Visitor

I cannot install HP LefHands SRA on Windows 2008. SRM 4.0 and vCenter are supported on Windows 2008. Any help?