New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA 4400 implemetation

SOLVED
Go to solution
Gpapa
Advisor

EVA 4400 implemetation

Hi all

over the past week i have been configuring and testing 2 new EVA 4400's (2 sites) wich is to replace 2 EVA3000.

I have a couple of questions i would like help on

1) since upgrading Command View EVa from 8.01 to 8.02, the two EVA 4400 appear the other way around. unit2 ontop of unit1 .. not a biggie but wwould like them the other way around, tried renaming ... no good.

2)With the EVA 3000 when logging into the SMA you would see the status a and any uncleared events.
With the EVA4400 you connect directly o command View EVA and do not see these alerts or staus

any way of seeting something up or email alerts ?

3) and lastly what is the best way of hadly the server side migration of removing the Secure path software and installing the HP MPIO driver with as little disruption to widows as possible.

any help would be greatly appreciated.
15 REPLIES 15
Mark...
Honored Contributor

Hi,

1: No, it can change around, you just have to live with it. If you had another management server it may show them the "correct" way around for you.It really doesn't matter unless you change things on the wrong EVA!

2: You can set up SNMP traps - look under "system options" tab from main eva screen and use "configure event/host notification" tabs to set up.

3: Get new windows boxes! Feature or windows I am afraid - you will need to deinstall/rebbot probably, install MPIO FF V3 and definately reboot and then DSM manager - no reboot.

Mark...
if you have nothing useful to say, say nothing...
Gpapa
Advisor

hanks For the Reply Mark

1) I have found a way to fix the order the the EVA's appear in the Command View.
All good there now.

2)I see what your saying here, but how do i forward these to email ?

3)this was the answer i was expecting, luckily after another review of all the SAN data, it looks like i will be able to do the migration the long way, as you have pointed out.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

3). If the Windows systems are not current on software, it can be a bit of work:
- remove old Secure Path or basic MPIO
- update SmartArray driver (for new storport)
- update Windows Storport.sys with latest hotfix
- update FC adapter driver which relies on current storport
- install full-featured MPIO
Mark...
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Good advice above as well!

To answer your question -you need to point the traps to a server that can interpret the traps, like a HP SIM server. From here you can set up email to forward the snmp trap to the email a/c of your choice. It is not possible for Command View to send email directly -just snmp traps.

Mark...
Gpapa
Advisor

I have added my host ... Server with HP SIM running.

However each time i select the event in "Configure Event Notification" and click ok

they disappear

Once i reolve this ... should i see my EVA in Storage systems\Arrays ??
Mark...
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

Once you have checked the options that you wish to be informed of under "Configure Event Notification" don't forget to "save" the changes or they will be lost.

A quick and easy way to test is to select trap 2051 which is for a folder creation. Once done / save, just create a folder under virtual disks or hosts and if all is set up OK then I guess you will get an email of the event.

Mark...
Gpapa
Advisor

Hi Mark

I must be doing something realy silly

I select "all events"
click "ok"
click "ok"
Click Save Changes
When i go back into "Configure Event Notification"

All are unchecked
Gpapa
Advisor

Got it
all options are still unchecked
iwent ahead and set up the forwarrwarding to email.

wich works.

should i be able to see the EVA in insight manager ??
or do i just get the alerts ?
Mark...
Honored Contributor

Hi,
Just the alerts I believe.

Regards,

- MARK -