New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA 4400 shuffle

SOLVED
Go to solution
WissfeldA
Occasional Advisor

EVA 4400 shuffle

Dear community,

i'm helping out a customer who has 2x EVA 4400 (XCS 10001000), 4 Enclosures with 10 FC disks each in a CA setup and needs more space.

I'm currently preparing the following upgrade plan:

1. The main site gets a new P6350 (XCS 11001000) with more space installed.
  2. CA will  be stopped.
  3. All data get transferred from the EVA 4400 to the P6350.
  4. The "old mainsite" EVA 4400 on gets uninitialized, shut down and pulled from the rack.
  5. The backup site EVA 4400 will be shut down as well.
  6. The backup site EVA 4400 will be extended with the "old mainsite" drive enclosures.
  7. The backup site EVA 4400 will be powered up and hopefully all drive enclosures (now 8) and disks (now 80) will be recognized.
  8. The backup site EVA 4400 will be upgraded to XCS 11001000
  9. The backup site EVA 4400 wil be initialized and configured.
  10. CA will be implemented again.
  11. Customer has 1 EVA controller pair left for spare purposes.

My question to the experts are now the following:

1. Did anyone do such a stunt before and may share his experience with this ?
  2. What about the EVA 4400 Drive Enclosure IDs ? Do they get reset on reboot, because in both sites currently there are enclosures 1 to 4 present, which means after physical transfer to the backup site there are two of each IDs on boot.
  3. As far as i've understood i HAVE TO uninitialize at least one of the EVA 4400's due to metadata stuff.
    Do i have to uninitialize both of them ?
  4. Anything else which i might take too easily ?
4 REPLIES 4
giladzzz
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi

What you describe is correct you should uninitialize one EVA the drive enclosure ID's will sort them selves out

but it is recommended to initialize the whole new EVA as you now have 8 disk enclosures the RSS will be distributed between all enclosures and you should have protection against a whole disk enclosure failing.

of course you should save all your licenses though if you initialize on the same management station they should be recognized automatically.

Regards

WissfeldA
Occasional Advisor

Hi and thanks for your reply,

so the 4400 will redistribute its RSS groups only on re-initialization ?

I'm asking b/c i have another customer with a similar upgrade plan but with the main target to have the 4400 protected from a whole shelf failing.

Kind regards

giladzzz
Honored Contributor

Hi

You can reorder your RSS between disk shelves by checking EVA configuration writing down your current RSS order and then shutting down the EVA ( power down) redistribute disks according to the order you want and then when you power on the EVA your RSS are in the order you put the disks. Of course all disks should be part of the configuration before you power down the EVA. If the number of disks is divided by 8 there is a good chance you can do this but you have to check your configuration before you start.

Regrard

press the Kudos star if you liked

WissfeldA
Occasional Advisor

Thanks alot, things are very clear now.