108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA 5000 & Business Copy

SOLVED
Go to solution
CA1240335
Occasional Advisor

EVA 5000 & Business Copy

I have a problem with Business Copy 2.3 in a Windows 2000/2003 environment. It seems to come down to this:-

I can create a job to snap a LUN & present it, with a drive letter, to a W2K3 server running the host agent.

The problem is that if I try to snap 2 LUN's and present them to the same host the job fails, claiming that the second drive letter can't be assigned. (Obviously, the drive letters are different.)

I have also tried performing the same task with 2 seperate jobs, and the second job will fail with the same error.

This seems like a reasonable request, even if it is a Windows server.

Better to remain silent, and be thought a fool, than to speak up and confirm it.
11 REPLIES 11
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

It's the same problem as if you would try to present the snapshot to the same server where the parent volume is mounted: both disks have the same signature!
Urban Petry
Valued Contributor

If I understand Dilbert correctly he tries to present different LUNs and not the same LUN twice, e.g. server A works with VDISK1 and VDISK2, then snapshots are created and server B should be presented VDISK1-SNAP and VDISK2-SNAP. Is this correct?

What types of disks are you using? Basic or dynamic disks? And originate the two "source" VDISKs from the same server or from two different ones?

Urban
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

I think we will need some clarification:

Question: "...if I try to snap 2 LUN's and present them to the same host..." -- Is "same host" the host where the 2 LUNs normally live, or do you mean just a second host?

Question: "...and the second job will fail with the same error." -- Will the second job work if the first job is NOT run?

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

CA1240335
Occasional Advisor

OK, I can see it was misleading.

I have one Win2K3 host, say a database server, with "logs" & "data" volumes presented.

I can snap either logs, or data, and present to a new host.

However, I can't do both logs & data, as the job fails with the "drive already in use" error.
Better to remain silent, and be thought a fool, than to speak up and confirm it.
CA1240335
Occasional Advisor

oh yes, they are Dynamic disks, but would this matter?
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor
Solution

There is a hint in the Network Administration Guide (checked V2.2 + V2.3) that only Basic disks are supported and you are not supposed to present cross- version (e.g. original on W2000, snapshot presented to W2003).
CA1240335
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Ewe, I'll check this out.

If this proves to be correct, it does look as though Business Copy is not the greatest piece of s/w the world has ever seen.

Any thoughts on how else to schedule this sort of operation?

HP promote this product to enable non-intrusive backups, etc. I don't really want to sit around in the office in my pyjamas every night manually making snapshots and presenting them to servers.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

I'm not a Windows admin, but I thought that a dynamic disk needs to be "imported" on the destination server before it can be used.

A dynamic disk can be made of multiple virtual disks, but on the EVA you cannot snap multiple VDs at once, so there is always a small window of inconsistency.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Sorry, here is a link with some background info I intended to put after the first paragraph:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q222189