Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EVA 5000 & Business Copy

SOLVED
Go to solution
CA1240335
Occasional Advisor

EVA 5000 & Business Copy

I have a problem with Business Copy 2.3 in a Windows 2000/2003 environment. It seems to come down to this:-

I can create a job to snap a LUN & present it, with a drive letter, to a W2K3 server running the host agent.

The problem is that if I try to snap 2 LUN's and present them to the same host the job fails, claiming that the second drive letter can't be assigned. (Obviously, the drive letters are different.)

I have also tried performing the same task with 2 seperate jobs, and the second job will fail with the same error.

This seems like a reasonable request, even if it is a Windows server.

Better to remain silent, and be thought a fool, than to speak up and confirm it.
11 REPLIES 11
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Re: EVA 5000 & Business Copy

It's the same problem as if you would try to present the snapshot to the same server where the parent volume is mounted: both disks have the same signature!
Urban Petry
Valued Contributor

If I understand Dilbert correctly he tries to present different LUNs and not the same LUN twice, e.g. server A works with VDISK1 and VDISK2, then snapshots are created and server B should be presented VDISK1-SNAP and VDISK2-SNAP. Is this correct?

What types of disks are you using? Basic or dynamic disks? And originate the two "source" VDISKs from the same server or from two different ones?

Urban

I think we will need some clarification:

Question: "...if I try to snap 2 LUN's and present them to the same host..." -- Is "same host" the host where the 2 LUNs normally live, or do you mean just a second host?

Question: "...and the second job will fail with the same error." -- Will the second job work if the first job is NOT run?

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

CA1240335
Occasional Advisor

OK, I can see it was misleading.

I have one Win2K3 host, say a database server, with "logs" & "data" volumes presented.

I can snap either logs, or data, and present to a new host.

However, I can't do both logs & data, as the job fails with the "drive already in use" error.
Better to remain silent, and be thought a fool, than to speak up and confirm it.
CA1240335
Occasional Advisor

oh yes, they are Dynamic disks, but would this matter?