MSA Storage
1753620 Members
6528 Online
108797 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA: Rearrange disks when adding new enclosure?

Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Thanks, I'll take a look at it. Please have a bit of patience, because:

- it's a spare time project
- I have to adapt to the output of this version SSSU
-- every one is a little different :-(

But, hey, that's why I was asking for more data ;-)
BR788742
Occasional Advisor

Ok - thanks.

BTW... we are fighting against Clariion 700 - one of the test is removing one shelf. I'm sure it will kill Clariion with his 5 vital disks in shelf 0 and this is why I needed "Mirrored" RSS in EVA. I HOPE that disconecting one shelf will not kill EVA with "Mirored" RSS and Raid1 Vdisks - wish me good luck :)

/T
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Ok, had a few minutes, so here is what I could get so far (there is a problem properly detecting the bounds, but that has to do with a different SSSU output and is not your fault).

You'll see a list of all RSS's and where each index is located. You are at mirror state already, but I can't analyze for parity state, because the code is not there, yet. (for example: E11:B04 and E11:B09 belong to the same RSS:003).

It looks like you are not current on disk drive firmware revisions. The column 'NewFW' gives the level for VCS 3.020 and 3.025

Next is the physical layout. It would be nice if you could check a few disks against this picture, because I wasn't able to verify the code on a larger configuration, yet. Thanks!

Is there something special with 'Disk 172'? This disk is ungrouped (like 'Disk 134'), but it's RSS information is reported as 'n/a' while the other disk uses '0'.

The output, by the way, is a nice example to demonstrate the virtualization. Although you have disks of different sizes in the same group, all of them show more or less the same utilization.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Tomasz,
attached is a minor update. Implementing the parity state check was easier than I thought and I was able to worm around some parsing problems. Hope you find it useful - have a nice weekend!
BR788742
Occasional Advisor

Thank you!

I tried to analyze my configuration and got the same conclusions about RSSs with no "parity" level. During tests i will not use RAID5 - Parity level seems not to be an issue. Please tell me if you have any experience with "failed shelf" - I think that my EVA should survive turning off any shelf. Today I did such a test on Clariion - EMC guys were sure that it will survive - they created vols in such way to not have mirrored disks in one shelf (two engeneers, two hours of work). I turned off shelf 0 - guess what happened... we lost access to all volumes, hung both controllers and got "dirty cache" errors on all vols... It wasn't better after rebooting Clariion - EMC told us that it is hard to "repair" cache errors and they suggest to recreate all vols... We lost all data... Now i'm preparing DoS attack on Clariion. Fast ethernet cards in both controllers should help me:)

/T