1753604 Members
6344 Online
108797 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA4400 storage enclosure addition

Mike Celone
Frequent Advisor

EVA4400 storage enclosure addition

We received in a new M6412A storage enclosure to add to our existing EVA4400. Can this be added to the EVA while it's powered on or does the system need to be shutdown to add the new enclosure?

I am running CommandView 8.0 and XCS 09001000. Do I need to upgrade the firmware or CommandView before connecting the new enclosure? I have already verified if have enough storage LTUs for the additional disks.
Mike
2 REPLIES 2
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

The M6412A is a new component and might not be supported by XCS 09001000. An upgrade to XCS *and* CV-EVA is strongly recommended. It might also be necessary to update the software on the servers and the Fibre Channel switches.

This is a heavy update which requires careful planning and downtime, because the EVA power must be turned off as part of the upgrade. So best is to get help from somebody who is experienced on the tasks.
Jay Panopio
Advisor

It is of best practive to shutdown the system to prevent further isolated incidents. You can only do it online if you are doing any replacements for defective parts.

Since you are upgrading or adding an additional enclosure, it would be nice to update everything on one shot...command view & XCS. Also, things to consider: contingencies like since most EVA's comes with 24x7, you can always require a field engineer to be present, & require him to bring the necessary spares/replacements to minimize downtime.

Hope this tips helps you. I've done numerous updates & most of it were down when the EVA's were powered off.