MSA Storage
1753701 Members
5075 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

EVA5000 and HBA-firmware

BR812315

EVA5000 and HBA-firmware

Where can I find what firmware and settings I need to get a QLA23xx working in our EVA5000 SAN ?

Also, I've got an old 1 Gbit Emulex LP8000 that I would like to use, but I can't get that one to work either.

Is there a (simple :-) document describing what works with what ?
4 REPLIES 4
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Re: EVA5000 and HBA-firmware

Willem,
is the QLA23xx you mention a HP-branded product like the FCA2214 or FCA2214DC? If this is the case, I don't recall I have set up anything on the board - I just installed the drivers. Same for the DS-KGPSA-CB (LP8000).

Can you explain a little bit what you fabric looks like, what you have tried already and what the result was?

"I can't get that one to work" doesn't help me much, sorry.

The SAN design guide should answer the last question. I am afraid it is not 'simple', but you be the judge:
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/storageworks/san/documentation.html
BR812315

No it's not a HP-branded QLA, neither is the emulex card.

Both cards did (eventually) gave an F-port on the switch, but the EVA command controller couldn't add the HBA as a host, so I can't assign vdisks to it.

The design guide states: For additional information on operating system HBA/driver/firmware/software support, contact your HP field representative.

(but he also referred me to the guide)

The guide does not speak anywhere about HBA-firmware, or even about qlogic or emulex at all.

I was under the (naive ?) impression that in an open SAN all FC-equipment would work together.

Anyway, our SAN sort of looks like:

Controller (actually 2)
|
Switch (16 ports /EL) ----
+ System with emulex-HBA
|
| (ISL over monomode fibre)
|
Switch (8 port)
+ ----- QLA2xxx (firmware 1.33)

I enabled the ports in question in the management-zone, so the SMA should be able to detect the presence of the HBA, but apparently the fact that both switches have F-ports from the HBA's is not enough to make it all work.

PS: I admit I have for to little knowledge on the whole HP-EVA-SAN field. Something I am (or rather should be) working on.
BR812315

Oh, btw, I got confirmation from the user that it is indeed an FCA2214 PCI-X (thus a HP-branded QLA23xx). And believe it or not, the moment after that I tried a fresh look on the EVA command console and I saw the QLA-HBA and could assign it disks.

Problem is resolved, but I'm still puzzled why I didn't see it the first time. I'll ask the customer if he did anything with his server (maybe a reboot did the job ?)
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

That's good to hear...
Sometimes the storage controllers need a little 'event' like a port going down and up again to become notified about a new adapter - I have seen it on non-EVA arrays, too.

Open SAN is a nice word, but it takes more than a few standards to make everything working properly.