4700 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Enhancing IOPS Performance

DiagoFernandes
Advisor

Enhancing IOPS Performance

Hi,

I have MSA2052 with two datagroups, SASs and SSDs.

While data of our SQL server resides on SSD data group the IOPS are declared satisfactory when we conducted IOPS test.

Whereas our BizTalk server data sits on SASs data group, the IOPS test were not satisfactory. I now intend to shift the data of BizTalk server to SSD to enhance IOPS.

Question: What is that I should do to enhance the IOPS performance of the data that resides on MSA2052 irrespecitive where the data resides?

Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5
ArunKKR
HPE Pro

Hi Diago,

I believe that you have SSD disk group and SAS disk group under different Pools.

We have noticed significant sequential write performance improvement if a SAS disk group is created by following power of 2 method when RAID5/6 is being used.
For optimal write sequential performance, parity-based disk groups (RAID 5 and RAID 6) should be created with тАЬthe power of 2тАЭ method. This method means that the number of data drives (nonparity) contained in a disk group should be a power of 2.

Please refer to pages 18 and 19 of the best practices guide for information on disk group creation following power of 2 method:

https://psnow.ext.hpe.com/doc/a00015961enw

Please ensure that the firmware of the controller and SAS hard drives are to update.

There are fixes related to performance improvement in few hard drive firmware updates.

Please visit the following web link and upload the MSA store log to find out the pending firmware updates:

https://msa.ext.hpe.com/

While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

ArunKKR
HPE Pro

Hi Diago,

Please let us know whether the information shared helped.

While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

DiagoFernandes
Advisor

Hi Arun,

Thank you for your reply. Apologies I could not reply earlier.

The raid on both SSD and SAS drives are RAID5.

I will update the firmware and see how it goes.

Regards,

@DiagoFernandes 

It seems you have SAS VDG in one Pool and SSD VDG in another Pool.

Please note you can't match SSD VDG performance with SAS VDG performance because SSD drives are much faster than SAS drives.

So either you move all your high performance application to volumes part of Pool which was created with SSD VDG or else you need to replace all your SAS drives with SSD drives so that you no need to think where your data resides.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
zaidmd

Hi

This thread helped me out know some knowledge on the BizTalk server here, as I was learning it. Thank you for this information.