1752793 Members
5687 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Expanding MSA2050 with enclosure and 6 disks, lateron expanding as extra stripe

JeroenSoree

Expanding MSA2050 with enclosure and 6 disks, lateron expanding as extra stripe

Hi,

We are about to add an enclosure to our existing MSA2050. The enclosure will contain 6 10TB disks in a RAID-6 configuration. Will we be able to add another 6 disks (also 10TB in a RAID-6) config and configure the existing as a stripe set then?

Jeroen

1 REPLY 1

Re: Expanding MSA2050 with enclosure and 6 disks, lateron expanding as extra stripe

@JeroenSoree 

I understand you want to create Virtual Disk Group (VDG) with 6 drives in RAID6. No problem in doing that. After creation this will be part of some Pool. Either Pool A or Poool B

Now if you want to add another 6 drives in existing VDG then its not possible.

You can create another VDG with another 6 drives in RAID6 and add the same VDG to same Pool where earlier VDG exists. 

The idea is Virtual Pool Virtualization here where you create volume by taking space from Pool. So your objective is to increase Pool space by adding more VDGs. Then create more Volumes or you can increase size of existing volumes as well.

You can also create new VDG and add to other Pool as well and create volumes out of it. Not necessary you need to add new VDG to earlier Pool where your first VDG exists. So all depends upon your requirement.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo