New Discussion юеВ

Re: Feedback to configuration

SOLVED
Go to solution
dirklehmannkg
Advisor

Feedback to configuration

Hello,

I was wondering if you might give use the feedback to our current configuration running and regarding the OS:

Meanwhile the Failover Cluster Feature was removed. We are currently running Hyper-V Replika between our two HPE ProLiant DL380p Gen8. The virtual maschines running are currently stored at a DS3100 enclosure connected to HPE ProLiant DL360p with Active Directory Service. The MSA2012-SA LFF is connected to both HPE ProLiant DL380p with HPE SAS HDDs as RAID5.

OneView and iLO "only" claims about two not original SATA SSD as RAID2 in the HPE ProLiant DL360p. There is no claim about the 4 TB LFF HDD in the MSA2012SA as RAID5 LUN connected to both HPE421 controllers in the both HPE ProLiant DL380p.

Nothing (no iLO, no UEFI configuration tool, no Oneview Ressource View, no Active Health system, no SSA) claims about the currently used SAS 4 TB LFF HDD in the MSA2012SA connected via HPE Smart Array 421 to both HPE ProLiant DL380p Gen8 with Microsoft Windows 2012 R2 Datacenter Edition running Hyper-V 2012 R2.

So can we at least use the storage in the MSA to place virtual maschines and data files on it additional to the storage in the HPE ProLiant DL380p and in the HPE D3100 Enclosure connected to the HPE ProLiant DL360p ?! Please give feedback. Thank you in advance.

There is no claim regarding the used storage in the MSA by the controller firmware and iLO, so that means we might use the storage reliable even if mit as shared storage for Hyper-V 2012 R2?!?!? Please give feedback because hotline and HPE support case did not yet and all products are out of warranty! Please, because we currently/yet need it to keep up servers running for the business software regarding core business processes.

Should we better leave this configuration (as described above) runnig for two to three more years with VM replicas and invest in two brand new Gen10 hosts (in the next 36 to 52 month) with Microsoft Windows 2016 Server and running this both as a cluster with Microsoft Storage Spaces Direct and the storage in the ProLiant Gen8 or Gen10 (instead of MSA2012SA with Gen8 and Windows 2012 R2 Operating System)? So to say good by to Windows 2012 R2 Server in the next 36 to 52 month and HPE Gen8 and hello to Gen10 and Microsoft Windows 2016 or 2019 Server: So to build a cluster with two brand new HPE ProLiant and Storage Spaces and copy then the existing and running virtual machines all from Gen8 to the brand new HPE ProLiant DL-Series (360 or 380) Gen9 or Gen10 Hyper-V cluster with storage spaces direct?

Thank you in advance.
11 REPLIES 11
Shawn_K
HPE Pro

Hello,

You have not provided enough inofrmation to determine your full configuration. However, the MSA2012 SAS array was never tested with the DL380 Gen9, D3000 enclosure, Windows 2012 OS, or Storage Spaces. Using the MSA2012 SAS in any of these configuraitons will put your data into an untested and unqualified environment. This will not provide you the best data protection.

If you elect to get into a supported configuration and environment, answering your questions will be easier and we can then give you clear guidance.

Cheers,
Shawn

I work for Hewlett Packard Enterprise. The comments in this post are my own and do not represent an official reply from HPE. No warranty or guarantees of any kind are expressed in my reply.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

dirklehmannkg
Advisor

Dear Shawn,

you wrote: "However, the MSA2012 SAS array was never tested with the DL380 Gen9, D3000 enclosure, Windows 2012 OS, or Storage Spaces."

I wrote that we use DL380 Gen8 NOT DL380 Gen9!

Please correct your feedback if necessary. Thank you in advance.

DL
Shawn_K
HPE Pro

Hello,

The only SAS HBA that is supported with the MSA2012 SAS array is the SC08Ge.  The SC08Ge is supported in the DL380 G5 and DL380 G6 servers. It is not supported in the DL380 G8, DL380 G9, or the DL380 Gen10. Nor has the available Smart Arrays or Smart HBAs that are supported in the DL380 G8, DL380 G9, or the DL380 Gen10 been tested or qualified with an MSA 2012 SAS array.

Sorry for the typo and confusion.

Cheers,
Shawn

I work for Hewlett Packard Enterprise. The comments in this post are my own and do not represent an official reply from HPE. No warranty or guarantees of any kind are expressed in my reply.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

dirklehmannkg
Advisor

Dear Shawn,

so I am wondering if you might please reply further to plug a brand new configuration of two additional (maybe brand new) HPE ProLiant 380p (or e) Gen9 or Gen10 with Windows 2016 or 2019 server os (operating system) parallely in this rack for ha (high available) virtual maschines (at those to additionaly buy ProLiant DL380p (or e) Gen 9 or Gen 10 local storages) vs. any further try to get ha virtual maschines working with existent configuration of used HPE ProLiant Gen8 and used MSA2012SA Gen8. Please let us/me additionaly know about! Thank you.

Buying new HPE ProLiant Gen9 or better Gen10 yet just in case that we/I or the CEO wishes us to run existing vm as ha vm instead of replica vm.

Best regards

DL

P.S.: What works very good will be to store vm files at the MSA2012SA and replica with those two ProLiants Gen8! But no ha virtual maschines. Okay. Thanks.

There is no question of trying to use DL380 G8, DL380 G9 and DL380 G10 as these Servers never tested with MSA2000sa and it will not be in future also.

You can check the details from SPOCK as per below link to revalidate support matrix,

https://h20272.www2.hpe.com/SPOCK/index.aspx?lang=en&cc=us&hpappid=117135_SPOCK_PRO_HPE

Click on "Simplified UI" from Home page under "Explore Storage Interoperability With SPOCK", then click on the + sign of "MSA" and select "HP StorageWorks 2000sa Modular Smart Array", You can also select "SAS" under "Protocol",  Then you can see what all Operating System supported. It will not list Windows 2016 or Windows 2019 which means they are not supported with this MSA model. Attached is the screenshot for your reference.

You can also play around this SPOCK page and try multiple options and check what all things supported which will help you to make decisions

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

***********************************************************************************

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
dirklehmannkg
Advisor

Yes, can't we use instead two new HPE ProLiant DL380 (new means Gen 9 or Gen 10) for high availble vm (with Microsoft Windows 2016 Server Cluster Feature installed and Microsoft Storage Spaces Direct installed) WITHOUT any MSA ?! To move the existing virtual maschines ans virtual maschines files instead to these two new HPE ProLiant and start them as Microsoft Hyper-V high available virtual maschines instead of replication?
Shawn_K
HPE Pro
Solution

Hello,

The use of the MSA2012 SAS is where the problem lies. This array has entered the End of Support Life. This means there is no further support, testing, or qualification with new OS, servers, switches, HBAs, etc.

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c05403140

Instead of trying to figure out a configuration with the MSA2012 SAS, you should be considering ppurchasing a new array such as the MSA2050 SAS or MSA1050 SAS. Then you would be able to get support and your servers, OS, and SAN would be tested and qualififed. Which means the configuration you are attempting to create would work to meet your production needs.

As mentioned, please review configuration details on SPOCK. Here is a direct link to the MSA2050 SAS: https://h20272.www2.hpe.com/spock2/cont/configsetresultview?repositoryId=256192&navId=0&source=Constraint

Cheers,
Shawn

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

Please refer the link below to understand hardware requirement for Microsoft Storage Spaces Direct which you want to implement,

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/storage-spaces/storage-spaces-direct-hardware-requirements

As we have informed you earlier, MSA2000sa support matrix will not support SAS HBAs which may be required to communicate with DL380 G8 or DL380 G9 and DL380 G10 Servers. Hence you can't use MSA2000sa with these servers. 

Now coming to your query, you need use some Storage or external JBODs as per the above supported link to use as Microsoft Storage Spaces Direct. That will be completely different discussion which will be no more applicable for this forum as this forum only related to MSA topics.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

***********************************************************************************

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
dirklehmannkg
Advisor