108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Firmware for SSD on MSA5020

SOLVED
Go to solution
plbplb
Occasional Visitor

Firmware for SSD on MSA5020

Our MSA5020 has two SSD drives type VO001920JWTBL, these currently have firmware HPD7.

Should they be upgdated to HPD8 as other similar dirves seem to need? Or are thry immune to the 32,000 hours problem.

Peter.

3 REPLIES 3

@plbplb 

If you open this link you will see the pop up message for SSD drives and critical firmware update,

https://h41111.www4.hpe.com/storage/msafirmware.html

This doesn't show drive model VO001920JWTBL so 32000 hours problem not applicable here.

Also please note in the same link if you click on "MSA Drives" tab and search with drive model it will show latest available firmware for any drive model applicable for MSA. It shows for drive model VO001920JWTBL, HPD7 is latest.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo

@plbplb 

Do you have any outstanding query on this topic?

If you have no further query and you are satisfied with the answer then kindly mark the forum as resolved so that everyone who are following this forum will get the update.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
Shawn_K
HPE Pro
Solution

Hello,

I can understand your confusion and concern on the SSD drives and the 32,000 hours problem. Please be aware you need to match the model numbers of the drives exactly.

For example, the drives you have are VO001920JWTBL. If you take just the first part of the model number "VO001920JW" there seems to be an apparent match with some of the drives listed in the advisory: https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-a00092491en_us

However, you need to match the entire model number in order to be sure your drives are affected by that issue. There are no drives that end with "TBL" on the advisory.

Unless the full model number is on the advisory, the drive is not affected by the 32,000  power on issue. Also be aware, that different drive vendors can and do use similar model numbers. The model numbers tend to break down to size, drive type, features, and manufacturer. So there may be (and is) two drives manufactured by two different drive vendors that have very similar model numbers.

As mentioned, HPD7 is the current firwmare version for your SSD.

If you wish to check your firmware on your system you can now do so easily by checking this link: www.hpe.com/storage/msafirmware

Also, to check the overall health of your system and any available firmware versions you can use our new MSA Health Check Tool at the following link: www.hpe.com/storage/MSAHealthCheck

Download your MSA Log File from your MSA array
Upload the MSA Log File into the MSA Health Check website
Review the results by clicking through the tabs and saving the PDF report
Links to array, enclosure, and drive firmware are provided for easy access

I work for Hewlett Packard Enterprise. The comments in this post are my own and do not represent an official reply from HPE. No warranty or guarantees of any kind are expressed in my reply.

Cheers,
Shawn

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo