108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Getting MSA2312fc SAN storage to be seen in vCenter

SOLVED
Go to solution
stuartpace
Occasional Contributor

Getting MSA2312fc SAN storage to be seen in vCenter

New to this product so bear with me...I have a couple of 2312fc SANs, which I have set up with IPs, and set up the fibre link to the EMC switches we have. My problem is that I don't know how to get the storage on the SANs to be seen as LUNs within VMware vCenter. If anyone has some advice I'd be grateful!
2 REPLIES 2
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Getting MSA2312fc SAN storage to be seen in vCenter

You need to create a 'virtual disk' first - that means binding multiple disk drives together to form a 'RAID set' with a RAID level.

From this capacity you can create one or more 'volumes', but remember that VMware ESX requires that those are smaller than 2 TeraBytes.

Add host entries for the servers - you can see their Fibre Channel adapter WWNs in the VI-Client under Configuration -> Storage Adapters. Then, map the volume(s) to the host(s).

Next, perform a RESCAN on those adapters. You _should_ see the volumes from the MSA in form of one or more SCSI LUNs.

Most likely there is no data on it, so go to Configuration -> Storage and select "ADD STORAGE" on the first ESX server to create a partition table and VMFS datastore.

WARNING! WARNING! WARNING! WARNING! WARNING!
DO *NOT* perform an "ADD STORAGE" on any remaining servers!!
WARNING! WARNING! WARNING! WARNING! WARNING!

Just do a rescan and it should pick up the datastore.
stuartpace
Occasional Contributor

Re: Getting MSA2312fc SAN storage to be seen in vCenter

Thanks Uwe, lifesaver!