MSA Storage
1753511 Members
5181 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HBA Login poblem with HP SAN switch

Ali Mohammad

HBA Login poblem with HP SAN switch

I have below configuration in my HP C-class blade.
HP BLC7000
8 x BLC480c server
HP BLC Emulex LPe1105
2 x Cisco MDS 9124e 12-ports SAN switch

I have an issue as described below.

When I connect the Ext ports of MDS 9124e to Storge, then all is ok and HBA in BLC480c login to SAN storage ports and can access LUNs. but when I connect the EXt ports of MDS 9124e t external HP Storagework SAN switch 2/8V then the HBAs are not able to login to SAN storage.

Also be informed that the E-ports in HP 2/8V SAN switch is blinking and is not on always.

Looking forward any help.
5 REPLIES 5
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

You need to configure both switches for INTEROPerability.

There is a document

- HP StorageWorks Fabric Interoperability: Merging Fabrics Based on C-Series and B-Series Fibre Channel Switches Application Notes (AA-RV1ZP-TE, May 2009)

on this page:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManual&locale=en_US&docIndexId=179911&taskId=101&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=406734
Ali Mohammad

Many thanks for the reply and document.

If license is an issue for 2/8V switches ?
I checked that slowly flashing green for the ISL ports between 2/8V and csco 9124E mean "loopback cable or incompatible switch"

What is the meaning of "loopback cable" ?

I will check the document for interoperability.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Yes, the 2/8V needs a fabric license - you can check this with the "licenseshow" command.

A "loopback cable" or "loopback connector" is a special piece of hardware that is used to test the full data path including the transmitter/receiver's external connection.
It means that the signal the switch port is sending out is 'bend back' to the same port's receiver by this hardware.
Ali Mohammad

Many thanks for the loopback cable clarification.
So the message from flashing green is that incompatible switch. If this incompatibility is native for Cisco 9124 and 2/8V or if we do the interoperate setting the issue will be resolved?
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

The interop-setting removes vendor-specific features so that both models are able to work together.