MSA Storage
1753808 Members
7428 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HELP, Replacement P2000 G3 Smart Array messed up Firmware!

SOLVED
Go to solution
MrWalker
Occasional Contributor

HELP, Replacement P2000 G3 Smart Array messed up Firmware!

We have a P2000 G3 Smart Array controler (A) that errored after a power cut with (Degraded). The Network was dropping in and out.

We could still get in by Controller (B)  I restarted/reseated the controler (A) but got the same error so we shut down controller (A) and installed the Replacement Controller ,we'll call this (A2)

After 30 Min the new controler (A2) still showed as Degraded so we decided to put the origional controller (A) back in.

The Firmware started updating (B)! aparently the controller (A2) had a newer firmware. The update finished but now controller (B) show no details in the system overview now!

Controler (A)  still degraded but can see the Vdisks still.

Any ideas??? I'm worried a shutdown may make it worse as the VMs are still on and working,

4 REPLIES 4
arun_r
HPE Pro

Hello Mr.Walker,

This issue seems to require log analysis and in depth troubleshooting to avoid any issues ..

MSA controllers needs to follow a step by step fw upgrade path to ensure successful update.

TS230  > TS240 > TS250 > TS252 is the recommended upgrade path,

When you replace a controller, partner firmware update option would kick in and these steps would be skipped and the upgrade might fail.. 

You can run the commands in SSH CLI session to check whether both controllers are responding and to find out exact status.

Please log a chat support case with HPE support team at the following web link before proceeding further:

https://pg-receiver-pro.glb.itcs.hpe.com/WclWeb/WclEntry.aspx?origin=acc&cc=IN&lang=EN&co=hpe

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

MrWalker
Occasional Contributor

I don’t know our SAID?

I just noticed that controller (A) has a newer firmware of TS251P006-02 than Controller (B) which is on TS250P003

clipboard_image_1.png

This is how it looked before the replacement controller (a) was installed. Can we roll back the firmware? Or is it best to update (B) to the same as (A)

clipboard_image_0.png

arun_r
HPE Pro

Hi Mr.Walker,

I will not recommend a roll back or upgrade till the array status has been checked.

Controller B seems to be at different MC and SC firmware versions as per the screen shot shared.

You could enter the unit serial number while trying to log a chat case. It would allow you to proceed even if the unit serial number does not detect the warranty / contract status.

Type the command show frus to find the MSA chassis serial number.  

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

MrWalker
Occasional Contributor
Solution

We manged to fix the issue by reseating controller B then replacing controller A and the firmware was synced