MSA Storage
1753797 Members
7302 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP 2012fc DC Modular Smart Array crashed controller and multiple drive failures

John_Watts

HP 2012fc DC Modular Smart Array crashed controller and multiple drive failures

Hi, New here so be nice to me please..

We have a customer who has 2 Storage Works with the attached SAN Smart Array.

Last year one failed and we had to rebuild the smart array and re-archive everything.

Now the other has failed, the logs appear to show 6 failed drives and a controller. This seems to much of a coincidence to happen all at once. Is anyone aware of something that may have caused this and how we could recover without having to re-install it again?

The attached screenshots show 3 disks in leftover mode, the current firmware versions (J200P46 / W420R58 / 3206). There is also a log file covering the period of failure.

I know this is a support question really but they are wau out of warranty and the customer is reluctant to pay for a service agreement they may only use the once.

Any ideas?

Many Thanks,

John

2 REPLIES 2
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: HP 2012fc DC Modular Smart Array crashed controller and multiple drive failures

This is an old MSA2000 generation 1, but maybe the firmware on your array was never updated.

This is an almost 10 years old known buggy version, see

http://h20566.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=3687120&swItemId=MTX_5abe40fc4370496b8b19b87da0&swEnvOid=4064#tab4

"An issue exists on HP 2000 Modular Smart Array products running firmware versions J200P46, J210P22, or J300P22 that eventually causes controller configuration information to be lost, with subsequent loss of management capability from that controller."

Latest version

J202P01

is here:

http://h20566.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=MTX_f23a258e79814fdf923a21ce97

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Shawn_K
HPE Pro

Hello John,

I do not see any logs attached but based off the two screenshots you have three drives in a leftover (possibly failed) state, with 7 slots possibly containing missing drives.  There is also a global spare available but I cannot see information about the vdisk(s). While the firmware on the array is an older version, recovery of the vdisk might still be possible, especailly if the leftover drives belong to the failed vdisk. I don't see the failed controller on the screenshots provided, so I may not have the full picture.

If the customer is wanting data recovery, your best option is to get them into a support case. Trying to troubleshoot data recovery in a support forum is not the best path forward and without more data such as logs, I cannot tell if recovery is even an option for this customer.

Also, the firmware on the array has been inactive since September 2010. This customer likely needs to talk to their sales team and begin talks towards a new MSA2050 array.

Hope this helps your customer.

Cheers,
Shawn

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo