Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP C-Class Blade with MSA1000

Jeroen Baak
Occasional Visitor

HP C-Class Blade with MSA1000

Hi there,

Whe have business case for a hosting solution whe want to build, only we get stuck.

Blade infrastructure:
- HP C7000 Enclosure
- HP BL460C (2x QC Proc incl. 16GB RAM and SAN HBA)
- Redundant Brocade C-Class SAN Switch

SAN infrastructure:
- MSA1000 (2 Controllers and SCSI I/O)
- 2 SAN Switches
- 5 300GB SCSI 15K

On one blade server we are going to run 20 VM's. These VM's are being to installed on the MSA1000.

The problem what we going to have is that the connection from the SAN switch to the MSA1000 is too slow! How can we solve this, or do we have to think about a EVA4000 or EVA6000?

Regards,

Jeroen Baak
Digital Dynamics Computers
2 REPLIES 2
James Muell
Valued Contributor

Re: HP C-Class Blade with MSA1000

Frankly, the MSA1000 is quite limited in I/O. If you are running the latest version of the MSA firmware you may be able to configure and use both controllers to present luns, thereby spreading your total IO over 2 controllers. If using older MSA firmware, its active-passive controllers and ALL I/O to or from the MSA is going through one controller, with the 2nd contrlr as failover backup. Other areas of contention would be from a.) using too few disks to support all the vm instances; b.)the vm instances could be competing for I/O causing disk contention; c.) too many instances on one host. In your case, it soulnds like you have 20 vm's running on 1 2 processor blade server, which is not a practical idea. VM instances need to be balanced with processor I/O cababilities of the hardware.
James Muell
Valued Contributor

Re: HP C-Class Blade with MSA1000

PS. In vmWare, the over-allocation of memory will create a situation where each running instance will auto-create a new swap file on its allocated disk, and write everything to it. This will certainly cause disk contention.