New Discussion

HP MSA 2040 RAID 5 Expansion

SOLVED
Go to solution
prawnjumbo
Occasional Visitor

HP MSA 2040 RAID 5 Expansion

Hi All,

I have an HP MSA 2040 and currently having pool A with 8TB, and inside there is one disk group configured under RAID 5.  And that whole volume is assigned to the clustered server which I need to expand.

My concerns are

- Is it possible to expand the same disk group which is under pool A? (type is virtual)

- If that's not possible and I create another disk group and add it under poolA, does that has to be identical to that old disk group (like 5 disks in the old one and new expansion one also MUST have 5 disks)

- A very important one - I wanted to expand it without disconnecting the server or while in production. Is it possible?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: HP MSA 2040 RAID 5 Expansion

@prawnjumbo 

Yes it's not possible to expand existing Virtual Disk Group.

It's not mandatory that same no of drives required to create new VDG and add to Pool A. However it's recommended to create new VDG with same number of drives and same RAID in terms of getting optimum performance.

After space got increased in Pool A then you can increase Volume Size without stopping IO which means Volume expansion can be done online.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
prawnjumbo
Occasional Visitor

Many Thanks, Subhajit,

Im not that familiar with storage systems, but I believe this is a simple task, I just need to add those new disks into the storage and create a disk group (its greyed out now under Pools section, may be due to disks are not added) and while doing so, select the raid options and pool i want. I dont think i need to edit any other sections in storage like Volumes or Mapping, all i would need then is to go to the server and expand that storage from diskmanagement/diskpart

Correct me if im wrong please!

Solution

@prawnjumbo 

You are correct till VDG creation and adding to Pool but after that if you want to increase volume size (Modifying a volume) that you need to do it from Storage first. Then only you will get that expand Storage in your Host File system.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
prawnjumbo
Occasional Visitor

Great Man - Thanks a lot! 

All I would need is to go under volumes and modify it and expand it after DG creation and then go to the server. 

@prawnjumbo 

Yes your understanding is correct now. Until you extend Volume size at the MSA block level you can't get the space at the Host Operating System level. That's the concept here.

If you have no further query and you are satisfied with the answer then kindly mark the forum as resolved so that everyone who are following this forum will get the update.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo