New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP MSA Internal data copy/migration

SOLVED
Go to solution
MOTUPAL
Frequent Visitor

HP MSA Internal data copy/migration

Hi All,

Require suppport to copy/migration data between MSA internal disks. From NL drives to new drives.

5 REPLIES 5

You haven't mentioned what is the MSA model.

Anyway irrespective of any model, there is no migration tool available inside MSA.

MSA Virtual array and models like MSA2040 or MSA2050 having one feature called "Volume Tier Affinity" but this is not like "Volume Pinning" feature where you can restrict data to a particular drive type. So this feature also will not serve your purpose.

So final answer this is not possible within MSA

You can only move your data through ESX VMotion feature from one array to another array and then after replacement of NL drives with new drives. You can create new vdisks and volumes. Then bring back VMs to this new datastore which is nothing but new volume.

Another option would take data backup to some external storage or HDD, then delete existing volumes and vdisks. Replace all NL drives with new drives. Create new vdisks and volumes. Then restore your data from backup.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

***********************************************************************************

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
MOTUPAL
Frequent Visitor

Hi Subhajit,

Thanks for your reply!!

Old disks and new disks, both will be avilable in same storage. In that case any copy features will be useful to copy the data from old disks to new disks.

Solution

Unfortunately there is no such option available for MSA

Only option through outside of MSA only

You can have both disks in the MSA and then create a new vdisk and volume with new drives. Then present the same volume to same host where previous volume already presented which was created from old NL drives. There you can manually copy the data from one volume to another volume at the host end.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

***********************************************************************************

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
Lekhpal
Advisor

Hello.

Can volumecopy be used for this activity.  Please advise. Thanks

Sunitha_Mod

Hello @Lekhpal,

Thank you for writing to us! 

You might want to consider creating a new topic by utilizing the "New Discussion" button, as this will not only enhance visibility compared to the old topic but also boost your chances of receiving responses from experts.

Thanks,
Sunitha G
I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo