MSA Storage
1748246 Members
3333 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP MSA2012i terrible throughput

Robert Sumners

Thought I would throw in my two cents. We've been fighting the MSA2012i box for 8 months now. HP support is terrible and unresponsive. We are also having slow backup speeds with it and when backing up, our cluster resources (disks) will go offline. Would never buy an HP SANS again.
Al Lopez

I was curious if you could post more information. I am considering the 2012i bundle and wanted to see how you were configured.

Did you use a VLAN for your iSCSI traffic?
What cluster size are you using for the vdisk?

If this is a systemic issue with the 2012i, I won't order it.

Just curious if more people are dissatisfied than happy with this model.

Thanks!
Bart_Rajchel
Advisor

Don't look at the MSA line of storage. This storage solution is nothing but problems. We even had CDW and HP design, quote and approve this configuration and now we have about 200lb of modern looking dust collectors.
Here's an idea. I bet we can cluster one hundred of our old RW CD-ROMs sitting in the storage room and have better performance then MSA2012i. I bet Linux community can write some app for that!
ZeroAdmin

Been having issues too. Backup Exec 12.5, Hyper V environment with Windows 2008 (POS) , G5 server with the 2012i and HP 6000 tape library.

Been seeing some chatter about the HP's nic teaming software and iSCSI.

You may want to try them un-teamed to see what happens (if they are).

Regards...
sean anderson
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the information. I am not teaming adapters under Windows 2008 anymore. The result of no teaming has lead to any performance increase overall.

Strangley, I have discovered that I can do a file level backup via the host instead of through snapshots at 2.5GB/Min. I dont understand how file based backup are faster than block based but since it is effective I have been using it.

I have no confidence that HP will help me anymore. It is a shame when you consider I have been a great advocate of HP for the past 12 years...

I am now looking at eating crow and committing to a much more expensive solution from EMC or NetAPP. I need the performance and it does not seem that anyone offers good performance at the MSA price point.....
Dennes Meeusen
Advisor

Did you try loading up the latest (april) firmware in your msa2012? Performance increase in our iSCSI msa2012i was very noticeable when we applied the latest f/w

IMHO the 2012 is a good device, considering it's price and targeted audience. Comparable SAN's from Equallogic/Dell or Netapp cost about twice as much. If you really want high end performance, consider the EVA line
sean anderson
Occasional Advisor

Dennes,

I dont see an april firmware update. Can you give the URL for this update?

I agree in principle with what you are saying. There are some very rough edges that HP really should smooth out to make it more fully functional for those who purchase the device.

Dennes Meeusen
Advisor
Dennes Meeusen
Advisor

Btw. When Googling you'll find that there seem to be lots of problems with iSCSI in Windows Server 2008. You might ant to test/check with 2003 and see if throughput is any better.
sean anderson
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Dennes,

I do have this firmware. It did make a difference in overall performance but I still have major issues with performance.

I have tried testing with Windows 2003 and do some some improvement over 2008. However, the performance is still not acceptable.