HP MSA2312fc

EhsanNASCO
Occasional Visitor

HP MSA2312fc

Hi,

can some please help me becuase i am facing problem in msa 2312fc it has multiple disk failure i have the following scenario.

- Our storage has 2 VDISK out of it VDisk 1 is in degraded mode and Vdisk2 is fault 

- Vdisk1 was in degraded mode but still every partition hold by vdisk1 was working fine then few days before all partition was very slow in response it was so slow that i could not be able to copy any single file in it. 

- I powered of the storage and started it and when vdisk1 partition appeared as new disk message appear to me to format but when i login the storage i could see all partition name are intact and even the lun mapping.

- i have very important data in vdisk1 partition but since message shown me to format the volume i am afriad it has lost the data on the partition 

can some please advise how i can recover my data.

Thanks 

Regards,

Ehsan

3 REPLIES 3
arun_r
HPE Pro

Re: HP MSA2312fc

Hi Ehsan,

The chances of OS file system level corruption is quite high as per the issue description.

I would suggest to engage HPE support team to have a look at the logs before proceeding further with any troubleshooting.

I understand that the unit might be out of warranty. Please try to log a case with chat support team using the below web link to have a look at the MSA log file:

https://pg-receiver-pro.glb.itcs.hpe.com/WclWeb/WclEntry.aspx

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

@EhsanNASCO ....As you have mentioned Vdisk1 was in degraded state so better to fix this first. Try to figure out how many drives part of Vdisk1 had issue. If it's configured in RAID5 or RAID10 and more than 2 drive had issue then it will be difficult to recover data. However as Vdisk1 was in degraded state which means RAID was up so you can still try replacing failed drive and go for vdisk rebuild.

Please note if you see volumes part of Vdisk1 not visible from Host side or you think that volumes looks like new then don't do anything rather it's better to unpresent them from Storage. Then do a vdisk consistency check in order to ensure that data at the block level it's fine or not. You can do that by following command, verify vdisk Vdisk1

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-c01755995 (page 185)

If there is no error exists at the block level then re-present the volume again to host and you should be able to get data back. If you still see volume shows as new then don't go for format in any situation rather open HPE Support case to get support on this.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo

Can you please help us to understand if the issue got resolved or not?

If issue got resolved then how?

Also request you to mark the forum as resolved if there is no more outstanding query from your end on this issue.

This will help for everyone who are all following your forum.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo