5125 Online
108784 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP MSa2012FC Date and Mirroring issue

jswhelpdesk
Advisor

HP MSa2012FC Date and Mirroring issue

HI all, 

#We are unbale to update date and time as we have year options only upto 2015, there is no other option available.

# We have 9nos 146GB HDD configured as RAID 1+0 and 1no as spare. problem is that whenever one of the disks fails, database is getting crashed. we have to replace HDD rebuild it and then start our DB manually, any suggestions

6 REPLIES 6
Cali
Honored Contributor

Hi,

oh man, I'm sorry but, this MSA 2012 should be around 10 to 13 years old.

I wouldn't do anything about it anymore, just retire.

A firmware update might help, but there is a risk of killing the controller and then you won't get any more spare parts or help from Support.

Cali

ACP IT Solutions AGI'm not an HPE employee, so I can be wrong.
Shawn_K
HPE Pro

Hello,

I have several MSA2012 systems in my lab which are not showing this issue. I also do not remember any issue like this that we fixed in firmware. If you are using DNS, I would suggest disabling the DNS for a day or two and then trying to re-enable. 

I would be very cautious about upgrading this system. As mentioned it is extremely old. I woudl strongly urge you to take frequent backups. Event he drives you are using are old and have been discontinued. Your problem will eventially become getting a valid replacment drive for a drive failure.

As for the database crashing that sounds more like an issue with the DB application. Your raid layer is redudant so any hard drive failure would not be apparant to the application layer.

It does sound as if you got good use out of the system but I do suggest ensuring you have your data backed up and taking freuqent backups as you consider new storage.

I work for Hewlett Packard Enterprise. The comments in this post are my own and do not represent an official reply from HPE. No warranty or guarantees of any kind are expressed in my reply.

Cheers,
Shawn

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

ArunKKR
HPE Pro

Hi,

Please try to set the time through SSH command line session.

Refer to 120 of the CLI guide for instructions:

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=c02710176

You may try to disable ntp as well if its enabled.

If the vdisk does not move to offline or quarantine state , the volumes should still be accessible when a disk in RAID 10 fails. You may need to investigate from operating system end / factors external to MSA as to why a single disk failure causes volume access issue. 

As Cali/Shawn mentioned, I would suggest to be extremely careful before performing any updates or even a controller restart in this MSA.

While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

ArunKKR
HPE Pro

Hi,

Please let us know whether the information shared helped.

While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

Plazmitron1999
Occasional Advisor

Hi, Mr.Shawn_K! Can I ask you for help?

I really need firmware for MSA2012i... But can't find...

Do you know, where can I download firmware for MSA2012i?

ArunKKR
HPE Pro

Hi,

Please visit the following web link to download the controller firmware:

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/swd/detail?swItemId=MTX-5dd61a91b6b24c7f8d35073871#tab1

Note: Contract linkage is mandatory to download the firmware.

Accept or Kudo