4069 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP P2000 G3 SAS -> Problems creating volumes and mappings

SaproGmbH
Occasional Contributor

HP P2000 G3 SAS -> Problems creating volumes and mappings

Hello friends and admins,

i am creating a small Windows Server 2012 R2 Hyper-V setup at work. As storage we use a

HP P2000 G3 SAS (2 redundant SAS controllers)

with two sets of RAID-10 harddisks (one set 12 x SAS 900 GB, one set 6 x SATA-SSD 200 GB).

I connected the 3 hosts we want to use with hyper-v to the P2000 like this:

|-> Port A1
Host hyperv-1 --|                (LUN 1 - 60 GB -> boot Hyper-V)
                |-> Port B1

|-> Port A2
Host hyperv-2 --|                (LUN 2 - 60 GB -> boot Hyper-V)
                |-> Port B2

|-> Port A3
Host hyperv-3 --|                (LUN 3 - 60 GB -> boot Hyper-V)
                |-> Port B3

As you can see, every host is connected to both of the P2000s controllers for redundancy.

Now i want to create 3 small volumes (like 60 GB) to install Windows Server 2012 R2 with the Hyper-V Role on each of the 3 hosts. But when i create a volume and create a default mapping afterwards, the mapping status says, that i mapped all hosts to port A1 and B1 (see Screenshot).

How would i correctly create the mapping, so that every single host has access to its own LUN to install/boot Hyper-V from _and_ have the redundancy. So that if one controller is defective/absent, the other will take over.

What am i getting wrong? I guess its just me mixing/messing something up? Do i have to use explicit mapping only, somehow?

4 REPLIES 4
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

You need to create an explicite mapping and a default of "not mapped".

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
SaproGmbH
Occasional Contributor

Hello again,

sorry - it took me some time to get back to this matter. I've been busy with some other projects lately and lost focus on this one.

I have tried what you recommended and configured explicit mappings to attach a 64 GB system partition to each of the 3 hosts i want to run hyper-v on.

Each of the 3 hosts has a HP SC08e 6Gb SAS Host Bus Adatapter. The hosts are connected to the P2000 G3 SAS as seen in my first post. Each of them has Port 0 connected to P2000's controller A and Port 1 to controller B.

In my opinion the mappings should be correct now (please have a look at the attached screenshots) and the wiring should be o.k., also.

Problem: I can't see any attached devices/volumes in the SAS-HBAs BIOS messages nor in the controller setup.

Shouldn't i be able to see the attached volumes in the bios message/controller setup so i am able to install stuff onto the volume or boot from it? What am i doing wrong?

Thanks again for your help!

Sascha

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Do you run the latest firmware TS251P006?

There was an enhacement related to 2012 recently, AFAIR.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
SaproGmbH
Occasional Contributor

I've checked that and the box runs TS251P006-02, which happens to be the newest available firmware on the hp support page. I've also re-started the controllers/the whole box.

I am worried because everything seems completely right, but i can't see any available volumes in the HBA-controller firmware or anywhere else.

But maybe its just me thinking the wrong way. I thought, that i need to boot to the HP SC08e SAS HBA firmware and the firmware will show me all available volumes on the attached SAN, somehow. Or that the controller at least lists the volumes at boot time - like a SCSI-controller does. Am i wrong? Maybe the HBA doesnt list the volumes outside of a OS at all?!

Or do i just need to boot up to Windows Server 2012 installer, include a driver for the HBA an then the available volumes will show up as available disks?

Sorry to be a pain, but this is the first time i am working with a SAS-HBA or external SAS at all.

Sascha