5415 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP P2000 G3 failed controllers

Andy_4578
Occasional Visitor

HP P2000 G3 failed controllers

Hi All,

We have a customer with potentially two failed controllers (both show a solid amber led).

The controllers have been reseated etc. but the chassis always powers on with both controllers showing a solid amber led.

Is it possible to replace both controllers at the same time with no risk to data?

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
HPSDMike
HPE Pro

Can you get into the GUI or console at all?

What is the output of "show controllers" in the SSH CLI?

In general, you should be able to regain access to the data on the disks when replacing the controllers. I believe the RAID group configuration metadata is stored on the disks themselves. This is why it is possible to do an "in place upgrade" between older and newer generations of MSAs. However it's concerning that both controllers have suddenly "died."

I work for HPE. The comments in this post are my own and do not represent an official reply from the company. No warranty or guarantees of any kind are expressed in my reply.

Accept or Kudo

Andy_4578
Occasional Visitor

Hi,

Thanks for the speedy response.

The unit powered off suddenly due to a power cut beyond the UPS battery time.

Since then the customer has faced this issue of both controllers showing the amber led, we cant ping either controller and no http/https access along with no cli access via a console cable.

Our sales team have purchased two new controllers and a new chassis, the customer doesnt have any up to date backups, so we need the least risky way to get them back online.

HPSDMike
HPE Pro

If you haven't already, try booting the array one controller at a time and see if you can get access. Perhaps them you can at least get the system online and do a backup while you continue to troubleshoot further. In general, you should be able to replace both controllers and have access to the vdisks. Of course you'll need to reconfigure all the management aspects of the array (user name, password, MGT port IP addresses, host port IP address, etc).

I'd try one controller at a time and see what happens to see if you can get a clean backup. If the data is super critical you can always open an HPE support case and ask for official guidance on how to proceed. If it's out of warranty then there may be some costs involved in opening that case.

I work for HPE. The comments in this post are my own and do not represent an official reply from the company. No warranty or guarantees of any kind are expressed in my reply.

Accept or Kudo

Andy_4578
Occasional Visitor

Hi,

I think we need to get HP involved with this and accept the charges. Would you know the contact details for HP in the UK to get things started?

Thanks

Cali
Honored Contributor

The Data config (Raid Sets) are stored on the Disks and the new Controllers will rediscorver it.

So all Data will stay.

But you loose the Controller Config (Name, IP) and Mappings to Hosts.

ACP IT Solutions AGI'm not an HPE employee, so I can be wrong.
HPSDMike
HPE Pro

A list of worldwide support phone numbers can be found here https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/Getdocument.aspx?docname=A00039121ENW

Thank you

Accept or Kudo