MSA Storage
1752798 Members
5722 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP SAN MSA 2312i : Vdisk reconstruct failed. Command failed. (error code: 1).

Narjis_Mo
Frequent Visitor

HP SAN MSA 2312i : Vdisk reconstruct failed. Command failed. (error code: 1).

Hi Guys,

I hope someone can help. I have an old HP SAN MSA2312i. 1 disk failed. I replaced the disk (Disk 5 in RAID5) with a new disk. I cleared the META DATA and Added the disk as spare. The rebuild started and after a while 2 disk become on status LEFTOVR. I thought the new disk is a defect one and I buyed a second new disk. This give also this message. In the log I see :

Vdisk reconstruct failed. Command failed. (error code: 1). (vdisk: VDISK_RAID5, SN: )

Can someone help?

Thanks a lot

M. Narjis

9 REPLIES 9

Re: HP SAN MSA 2312i : Vdisk reconstruct failed. Command failed. (error code: 1).

There are couple of things missing like you haven't mentioned total how many drives present in the system and how many vdisk present in the system.

I see you have mentioned " 1 disk failed. I replaced the disk (Disk 5 in RAID5) with a new disk. I cleared the META DATA and Added the disk as spare." -> If the Disk 5 failed and you have replaced it then the status of the new drive should be in AVAIL state. I am not able to understand how you have cleared metadata of the new drive? are you sure you have cleared metadata of the new drive or some other drive in the same RAID5 vdisk? 

Coming to next portion of the issue statement "

The rebuild started and after a while 2 disk become on status LEFTOVR. I thought the new disk is a defect one and I buyed a second new disk. This give also this message. In the log I see :

Vdisk reconstruct failed. Command failed. (error code: 1). (vdisk: VDISK_RAID5, SN: )" -----> If the rebuild started then possible you have done everything properly but Vdisk reconstruction failed due to other drives having issue. So eventhough you replace failed drive again and again vdisk reconstruction will never complete until we figure out what is the other drive part of the vdisk having issue which is not allowing vdisk reconstruction to get complete

It's difficult to say anything without checking complete log file. So I would suggest you to log a support case with HPE support or else provide me the MSA log in private chat

Note: Never clear metadata when you find your vdisk in QTOF or Offline state. Also if there are situations where multiple drive having hardware errors then also you shouldn't clear metadata instead involve expert to check further.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

***********************************************************************************

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
ASHOKA_Shankar
Advisor

Hello Narjis,

Good Day.

As I understand the issue here, It seems to be multiple HDDs failed during the first HDD rebuilding.

So it would be easier if you could share the Store. logs from SMU.

using the below steps to analyze and update what has caused the HDDs to go to Leftover state.

Login to SMU --> TOOLS --> SAVE logs.

Regards,

Ashoka S

Narjis_Mo
Frequent Visitor

Hallo Ashoka ,

Sorry for the late reaction. I ordered 3 new disks and tested them all. But still the samen problem.

How can I send you the Log? I don't see the possibility to add an attachement.

Thanks,

Narjis

It seems other drives part of the same vdisk having issue so vdisk reconstruction will never complete. It's not about the drive which was failed. You need to understand how RAID works and how data and parity recover data for the failed drive. If controllers are unable to read particular sector of some drive where data or parity saved then how missing data will get generated. This is the moment vdisk econstruction gets failed.

I think you can pass the logs via private chat option.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

***********************************************************************************

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
Narjis_Mo
Frequent Visitor

Hallo Subhajit,

Thankls for the answer. I can not the attachement because zip or logs is not accepted.

I understand the RAID. This disk is replaced in RAID 5 with 6 disks of 450 GB. So, the fault tollerance is only 1 failed drive.

Thanks,

M. Narjis

I sent you one private message. Try to check in your inbox and reply me along with logs. I will check and get back to you on this.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo

After log analysis completed, I have sent you analysis and next possible plan of action in private message. You can check the same.

Summary for the people who follow this forum, in Vdisk named VDISK_RAID5, I found hardware error present on drives at location 1.3 and 1.4 as well. These are not allowing vdisk reconstruction to get complete for drive 1.5.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
Gaisu
Advisor

Hello@SUBHAJIT KHANBARMAN_1 ,

I know its been a while since you worked on this issue, I'm facing the same scenario here, construct failed while 3 drives has issues, is it possible to post the solution you found here?

Request you to kindly open new forum and I will try to help you for sure but please remember this is very critical issue and related to data loss situation so it's always good to take HPE official support rather than trying in public forum.

If your vdisk configured in RAID 5 then more than 1 drive issue create problem and there are 3 drives having issue here then data recovery difficult. WIthout checking MSA log data recovery will be very difficult.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo