cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP StorageWorks VSS Hardware Provider problem

JLeslie
Frequent Advisor

HP StorageWorks VSS Hardware Provider problem

I have a client with a ML 350 G6 running Windows 2008 Std x64. Lately every time the server is rebooted, there are two dllhost.exe processes created (COM Surrogate) that together consume 50% cpu time.

Running Process Explorer I've found that they are both associated with HP StorageWorks VSS Hardware Provider for P2000/MSA2000, one for msa2000iscsivds.dll and the other for msa2000fcvds.dll.

I have to kill both processes so the cpu isn't choked. I've never noticed any problem after killing the 2 processes.

So I would like to find out how to prevent these 2 process from starting up. Is there some software component that I can uninstall or reconfigure? Apparently nothing is using these 2 processes as everything runs just fine on the server without them.

JL
2 REPLIES 2
CypherBit
Occasional Contributor

Re: HP StorageWorks VSS Hardware Provider problem

I have the exact same problem with msa2000iscsivds.dll on a Windows 2008 R2 SP1, running on a ML350 G5. I only have the P2000/MSA2000 iSCSI VDS Provider 2.6.1. (Build 18). I'm using MS's Data Protection Manager 2010 on this server (not sure if it matters).

hvhari
Esteemed Contributor

Re: HP StorageWorks VSS Hardware Provider problem

They are used in creating snapshot/snapclones when using MSA 2000 Storage array. If you no longer use, you can un-install them. Refer below user guide - "HP StorageWorks MSA System VDS and VSS Hardware Providers

Installation Guide"

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02520792/c02520792.pdf

Regards,
Hari

If this post was useful , click the Kudos Star on the left side to say Thanks!