New Discussion

HPE MSA 1040 SAN Storage Mapping to Oracle Linux

SOLVED
Go to solution
Salama-Habib
Occasional Contributor

HPE MSA 1040 SAN Storage Mapping to Oracle Linux

hello,

I have an MSA 1040 SAN here and I need to know how to map its LUNs or Volumes to Oracle Linux 6.9 Servers?!!

is it from the management console only in the Mapping section like windows server do or Linux demand another method to MAP the Volume ??

I need to mount these LUNs or Volumes on the system permanently to be available to the applications and the system even after any restart to the servers.

the SAN connected Directly to the servers through Qlogic HBA Cards without any SAN Switches.

any help, please ?!!!

5 REPLIES 5
Shawn_K
HPE Pro

Re: HPE MSA 1040 SAN Storage Mapping to Oracle Linux

Hello,

You did not specify but it sounds as if you are setting this up using FC connectivity. My answers below are for an FC setup.

As long as the array can see the host you will allow the volumes/LINs access to the hosts from the array. You will also need to install the Native DM Multipathing on the server and complete the mapping on the server side. This will retain your specified mapping configuration even after server/array reboots.

Just as a warning - for the SN1100E cards there is no support for Oracle Linux 6.7. Also there is no boot from storage if your server is using AMD processors.

Otherwise, unless spcified use the native HBA drivers supported with your OS and server. I would also suggest to install the latest GL225P001 firmware on the array.

Here are some useful links in case needed.

MSA firmware: https://h41111.www4.hpe.com/storage/msafirmware.html

SPOCK (shows all supported options for the MSA arrays): https://h20272.www2.hpe.com/spock/

Cheers,
Shawn

I work for Hewlett Packard Enterprise. The comments in this post are my own and do not represent an official reply from HPE. No warranty or guarantees of any kind are expressed in my reply.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

Salama-Habib
Occasional Contributor

hello,

Many thanks to you sir for your kind reply, I appreciated a lot.

yes, the configuration is for FC HBA Cards, and its an Oracle Linux 6.9.

But after your answer the question is :

from the array dashboard, I will map the created luns to the Linux host/server by WWN, right ?

after that I need to go to server side and check DM-Multipath ? do you suggest to use the native DM-Multipathing which already comes with the OS or I have to go to SPOCK and search for  HPE Multi-path Device Mapper for Linux?

and after that from the server side also I need to scan for these LUNs from Linux, am i right??

then I have to format these LUNs , Does it will show on FDISK ??

after formatting I need to create mounting point and then mount the LUNs to it am I right?

then modify my fstab configuration file ??

can you also provide me with the appropriate Commands, please ?

waiting for your reply sir

Shawn_K
HPE Pro
Solution

Hello,

You will use the Native DM Multipathing from the server.

I suggest you review the MSA 2040 SMU Guide which can provide you information on how to providsion and map the array.

Cheers,
Shawn

I work for Hewlett Packard Enterprise. The comments in this post are my own and do not represent an official reply from HPE. No warranty or guarantees of any kind are expressed in my reply.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

Salama-Habib
Occasional Contributor

Hello Mr. Shawn

I'd like to thank you for your appreciated help.

and I'll Follow your guidelines.

thanks again.

Salama-Habib
Occasional Contributor

Hello, Mr. Shawn

now I implement and done almost everything ; 

1- I configured the HPE MSA Array to 2 LUNs:  9TB for LUN 1 and 12TB for LUN 2.

2- I mapped the LUNs to all 2 servers connected to SAN directly through HBA fiber connection in DUAL Path Mode.

3- I scanned the fiber connection hosts on the servers and Linux Detect The LUNs with no problems.

4- I configured the DM-Multipath for Linux and I've got 2 Paths for the LUNs (/dev/mapper/mpathb) and  (/dev/mapper/mpathc).

until now everything is fine ok, what I do next is :

- from the first server, I directly make a filesystem on each LUN without making any partitions by formatting the LUN into ext4 file system ( # mkfs.ext4 /dev/mapper/mpathb) ,  ( # mkfs.ext4 /dev/mapper/mpathc) .  then I make a mounting point to each path and mount them to it. everything working fine for me and I try to copy data to the LUNs and the data copied without problems.

is this OK, or I've done any mistake here ?!!! by not creating partitions? (it is backup storage only) 

then I moved to the second server and scan Fiber Connection and applying the Multipath and added the same LUNs to mounting points , also the server here detected the LUNs and added them properly and can write data on them. 

the main question here is: when I copied data from any server to the detected LUNs and go to the other server I didn't find anything !!!!  is this OK that every server sees its own data only in the same LUN ??? 

how do the SAN array deal with data from each server ?  or I have to partition LUNs again after Multipath ?

any help would;d be appreciated.