1752796 Members
5584 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

HPE MSA 2050 Replication Errors

TheLantean
Visitor

HPE MSA 2050 Replication Errors

I've been having the error below on some replication sets between my MSA 2050 storage boxes:

Scheduler: The scheduler was unable to complete the replication. - An internal timeout has occurred. (task: <replication_set>, task type: Replicate)

EVENT ID:#A21489

EVENT CODE:362

EVENT SEVERITY:Error

The two boxes are currently in the same site, replication over iSCSI, replication interval is every 6 hours, they also maintain both primary and secondary volumes' snapshot history. I've also configured snapshots on primary volume. Limit is 10%, low threshold is 75%, limit policy is delete snapshots for both sites. 

I've also noticed that unique data for certain volumes'snapshots at times even upto 5GB. Is there something I'm missing? Please help. Thanks.

PS: Noticed from QuickSpecs that there's no mention of deduplication on MSA. Is this by design or an omission in documentation?

8 REPLIES 8

Re: HPE MSA 2050 Replication Errors

MSA don't support deduplication feature

Coming to your issue which is related to scheduler failure, I would like to know both MSA running with what version of Controller firmware ?

If not in latest then you should consider upgrading Controller firmware to latest version VL270R001-01 which is having many fix related to replication. Please refer the released notes from below link,

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=null&docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-a00053732en_us

There could be space issue as well. We need to check how much is the Virtual Pool size and how many volumes part of it. How much space consumed by each volume. Related to replication two internal snapshots will be there and that also consumes space and it depends upon how "over commit" setting configured.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

***********************************************************************************

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
Shawn_K
HPE Pro

Hello,

One small correction to note in previous post. If you are running an MSA2050 you should be intalling firmware version VL270R001-01.  The VE270R001-01 firmware is used for an MSA1050. The two firmware versions contain the same fixes and enhancements but are meant for two different systems. You can find more information on the issues fixed and enhancements by reviewing the release notes. One quick and easy way to find these is by accessing the following link: https://www.hpe.com/storage/MSAFirmware

As mentioned previously, upgrading first and retest to determine if your issue has been corrected.

Deduplication was never a feature for the MSA arrays. As such, it was not a mistake in omitting this from documentation or QuickSpecs. If you need a system that has this feature you should talk to your HPE Sales representative. HPE has many systems that offer deduplication.

Cheers,
Shawn

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

TheLantean
Visitor

Hi Subhajit,

Thanks for the reply.

Our firmware version  is VL100P001., virtual pool is 7 TB with 10 volumes, with about 4000GB allocated.

Replication errors were related to specifically 2 large volumes (1TB each), even with shortened replication intervals of 1 hour. Replication is set to queue latest, maintain both primary and secondary volume snapshot history.

Snapshot space in secondary system is set to 10% of total space (~700 GB), limit-policy is delete snapshots, mid threshold is 75%.

Any tips to optimize the replication configuration?

Disappointing not to have Dedup, but I suspected it.

Your configuration looks ok but there are many things which actually improve system overall performance which may in turn improve replication as well.

Most important you should always update your MSA all components with latest firmware.

You should utilize both Virtual Pool instead of one Pool.

I hope you are taking advantage of sub-lun auto tier feature as well.

If over commit enabled then 3 internal snapshots will not be full provisioned. So you can save more space. This is important because when you do replication on Thin provisioned volume then only allocated blocks gets copied to another array.

It's important to understand rate of data change and based on that we should set subsequent Replication interval . This is not COW (Cope On Write) technology rather this works with ROW (Redirect On Write) technology

If you are keeping Replication Snap history for each replicated volume then you should consider space consumption, tree structure for those as well. You can keep max 16 replication snap

Refer latest Controller firmware release notes, MSA 2050 best practice technical paper and MSA Remote Snap Software technical paper to get more tips and suggestion.

Note: MSA is entry level Storage Box and we shouldn't expect Deduplication in this. HPE having other high end Storage box like 3PAR and Nimble where Deduplication available

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

***********************************************************************************

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo

Can you please help us to understand if the issue got resolved or not?

If issue got resolved then how?

Also request you to mark the forum as resolved if there is no more outstanding query from your end on this issue.

This will help for everyone who are all following your forum.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
Khalilian
Occasional Advisor

Hello

I'm having the same problem and I got the same error:

Scheduler: The scheduler was unable to complete the replication. - An internal timeout has occurred.

Each MSA firmware versions are VL270P002-02.

I have two pools which are 9.5 TB each and 4 volumes which are 4.5 TB each.

Delete snapshots policy enabled on both pools.

I configured 2 repset for 2 volumes.

repSet0001 is ok but consuming more disk space. (increasing allocated snapshot every minutes!)

repSet003 facing an issue and got an error.

Repset configuration: 1 retention, last snapshot, repeat every 1 hour.

How can I tackle my problems and is there anything which I configured incorrectly?

rasoulgsm
Occasional Visitor

Hi Dears

I have HP MSA2050 . and this storage have this error code:

please help me  to dont destroy my arrey

TNX

a scrub-disk-group job encountered an error.(disk:group: dgA011-12 raid10, SN:00c0ff50d8a1000033d4046200000000)(disk group LBA:0x8ED48000)

JonPaul
HPE Pro

@rasoulgsm 

Please start a new thread.  Your issue is not related to the initial issue and will lead to confusion in the future

I work for HPE