MSA Storage
1751975 Members
5010 Online
108784 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HPE MSA 2050 Storage Capacity not refreshed in Server 2016 after removing disk group from SMU

SOLVED
Go to solution
kinkingunta
Occasional Advisor

HPE MSA 2050 Storage Capacity not refreshed in Server 2016 after removing disk group from SMU

Dear all,

I want to ask about these, since I'm a newbie for these kind of thing,

I manage a DL 560 Gen10 and a MSA 2050

dg01 = 6 sas x 900GB (Raid 5) = ~ 4,500 GB

dg02 = 2 sas x 900GB (Raid 1) = ~ 900 GB

Total ~ 5.400 GB , after cut by file system, and detected by Server 2016 = ~4.900 GB

now I remove dg02, and SMU automatically adjust the total to ~4.500 GB
and Server 2016 still detected it as 4.900 TB

already tried to restart the DL 560 Gen10 and MSA 2050, still no luck.

any idea why? Thank you.

Best Regards

Kinkin Gunta
5 REPLIES 5

Re: HPE MSA 2050 Storage Capacity not refreshed in Server 2016 after removing disk group from SMU

Please note that dg01 and dg02 both are actually Virtual Disk Groups (VDG) but you have presented volumes which you have created from Pools.

In MSA2050 the architecture is couple of drives create VDG. All VDG will be part of Pool A or Pool B depends on Controller A or Controller B

You might have created Thin Provision Volume of 4900GB

So if you have deleted some VDG which is dg02 in your case that will decrease space from Pool but Volume size will be same only until you modify the same manually.

Your Windows 2016 can't see VDG. Host systems only deals with volumes.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
kinkingunta
Occasional Advisor

Re: HPE MSA 2050 Storage Capacity not refreshed in Server 2016 after removing disk group from SMU

Dear Mr. Subhajit,

Thank you for your kind reply,

Pardon, I want to ask, you said ... until you modify the same manually, how modify it manually? From Host menu in SMU ?

Thank you.

Best Regards

Kinkin Gunta
Solution

As per my understanding if your requirement is to reduce the volume size or shrink the volume size then that is not possible. Please find the same captured from SMU guide,

"You can change the name and cache settings for a volume. You can also expand a volume. If a virtual volume is not a
secondary volume involved in replication, you can expand the size of the volume but not make it smaller. Because volume
expansion does not require I/O to be stopped, the volume can continue to be used during expansion."

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=a00017707en_us (Page no 100)

Solution to this, you can take data backup, delete the existing volume and re-create the volume again. Then restore data from backup.

You need to understand the concept of Thin Volume and Thick Volume. You have created 4900GB of Thin Volume which means even if your system doesn't have that much space but hypothitically your volume in future can go up to 4900GB of space. For example, lets say you have only 2000GB of space at VDG but you have created volume size of 5000GB. Only condition this needs to be Thin volume.

In your case initially you have created 4900GB of Thin volume. Later you have deleted VDG named dg02 whose size 900GB so from Pool level it got reduced to 4500GB but your Thin Volume size will remain same at 4900GB. At this condition you can only expand the volume by adding more VDG to the Pool and then modify the volume size.

On the other size if you would have created Thick volume then you need that much space instantly because system will allocate that space for that volume.

Thin provisioning is a virtual storage feature that allows a system administrator to overcommit physical storage resources. This allows the host system to operate as though it has more storage available than is actually allocated to it.
When physical resources fill up, the administrator can add physical storage by adding additional disk groups, on demand.

If you try to disable overcommitment and the total space allocated to thin-provisioned volumes exceeds the physical capacity of their pool, an error will state that there is insufficient free disk space to complete the operation and overcommitment will remain enabled.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo

Can you please help us to understand if the issue got resolved or not?

If issue got resolved then how?

Also request you to mark the forum as resolved if there is no more outstanding query from your end on this issue.

This will help for everyone who are all following your forum.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
kinkingunta
Occasional Advisor

Mr.  Subhajit, thank you. As you suggested,

1. backed up the data first

2. remove entire disk group

3. recreate disk group , volume , and mapping

4. solved

Have a nice day.

Best Regards

Kinkin Gunta