New Discussion

Re: HPE MSA 2052 SAN - Storage Expansion

SOLVED
Go to solution
ChrisW1998
Occasional Visitor

HPE MSA 2052 SAN - Storage Expansion

Hello there,

I'm new to this forum. The HPE MSA 2052 SAN has a configured Pool A. This Pool has two RAID6 Disk Groups. One with 6 SSDs and one with 8 HDDs. This Pool A runs with automated tiering. Now I added another 4 SSDs and 6 HDDs and want to provide another volume for the hosts with these disks, because a simple RAID extension doesn't seem possible. The SSDs and the HDDs are to form two separate disk groups with RAID6 and these two are to be combined in Pool B, so that automated tiering can be used via these 10 disks in total. Can you confirm that my following procedure is correct and does not affect the running operation?

1. Under "System" I see that the SAN has correctly detected the disks (10 counted from the right)
  2. Now I would create a new disk group under "Pools" - "Add Disk Group" with the SSDs in RAID6 and Pool B, then the same again for the HDDs on Pool B as well.
  3. After that I go to "Volumes" - "Create Virtual Volumes" and select Pool B to provide a new volume for the hosts.

Are these all the steps necessary to present a new storage at the VMware ESX level, which finally has to be formatted? How do I enable automated tiering on the new volume?

I hope you can help me to be sure to get to my goal and don't risk a failure from my system.

Thanks a lot already

Christopher Wegener

4 REPLIES 4
sbhat09
HPE Pro
Solution

Hello @ChrisW1998,

The procedure you listed step 1-3 is correct and necessory to present the storage to ESX.

You can enable tiering as well (please ensure you have tiering license). That will not disrupt the regular functions of your system.

Regards,
Srinivas Bhat

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!
Note: All of my comments are my own and are not any official representation of HPE.

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

ChrisW1998
Occasional Visitor

Hello @sbhat09 ,

thanks for the fast reply. This is great to here and I can be sure my other Pool presented as a Volume in ESX won't be touched by these steps. My live system is never in danger. Is this correct?

Regards,

Chris W.

sbhat09
HPE Pro

Hello @ChrisW1998,

Yes. Absolutely.

Regards,
Srinivas Bhat

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!
Note: All of my comments are my own and are not any official representation of HPE.

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

ChrisW1998
Occasional Visitor

Hello @sbhat09 ,

Perfect! Thanks for your help!

Regards,

Chris W.