Re: HP MSA P2000 schedule

SOLVED
Go to solution
SarBazz
Occasional Advisor

HPE MSA P2000 schedule

Hello!

Can anyone help me?

We have HP P2000 G3 10 GbE Array and recently it stopped to create snapshots on schedule. There are couple VD on Array and the schedule worked for 3 years for the first one and six month for second VD without any problems.  And it creates snapshots in manual mode.

Troubleshooting steps:

I have deleted all of snapshots, snap-pooll and schedules. And re-created it again. But it didn't solve the problem.

Any help appreciated

10 REPLIES 10

What is the Controller firmware version your P2000 running now ?

Have you tried restarting the array?

If manual snapshot creation working and only schedule not working then it could be old firmware scheduler issue. Otherwise restart of the array should fix this.

What is the retention count set?

How many total volumes present ?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

***********************************************************************************

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
Shawn_K
HPE Pro

Hello,

Along with answering the previous questions can you please review the space in the vdisk and snap pool? You may have grown the size of the vdisk to a point it no longer can create a snapshot and retain snaps. Your threshold level may be such that as the snapshot is created it is being deleted.

Cheers,
Shawn

I work for Hewlett Packard Enterprise. The comments in this post are my own and do not represent an official reply from HPE. No warranty or guarantees of any kind are expressed in my reply.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

SarBazz
Occasional Advisor

Thank you for your reply!

1. The controllers (A, B) firmware version is TS250R021

2. Yeap, I have restarted the array, and you are right, it fixed, but for a while.

I have set new schedules for my 2 volumes with recurrence one time per hour (for testing) with 10 snapshots to retain. It created just 4 for both VD.

3.  There are 3 volumes on array.  

I assume that, perhaps, the problem in second schedule, I mean it had been creating snapshops on first VD for almost 3 years before I've set second schedule.

SarBazz
Occasional Advisor

Hello Shawn_K!

There is enough space on both Vds. The used space less than 3% on snap pools.

And I got no any warning threshold messages on logs (as you can see on attached logs file).

Thanks!

Solution

When you confirm that after reboot of the Controller issue get fix for sometime then it's old code issue of the snapshot scheduler. There could be many fix got released and few of the fix as mentioned below,

Issue: The scheduler was unable to delete snapshots on some occasions. >>> fixed in TS252R007

Issue: Scheduler did not honor the "Time Constraint" and "Date Constraint" of the schedule policy >>>> fixed in TS251R004

Issue: Schedules did not run or ran before the modified start time when an expired schedule was modified. >>> fixed in TS251R004

This P2000 is running with inactive or expired version of controller firmware TS250R021 and latest available version TS252P005

Firmware version Release date
-------------------------------------
TS252P005 All Feb 2017       >>>> Latest firmware
TS252P001 All March 2016
TS252R007 All June 2015
TS251P006 All Sept 2014
TS251P005 All July 2014
TS251P004 All June 2014
TS251P003 All June 2014
TS251P002 All May 2014
TS251R004 All March 2014
TS250P003 All September 2013
TS250P002 All July 2013
TS250R023 All April 2013
TS250R021 All March 2013     >>>> This system currently running

Please find the link to get the latest firmware,

https://h41111.www4.hpe.com/storage/msafirmware.html

So there is no point of further checking before your P2000 up to date with latest firmware.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

***********************************************************************************

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
SarBazz
Occasional Advisor

According to your post here

https://community.hpe.com/t5/MSA-Storage/how-i-can-download-firmare-for-san-storage-hp-p2000-msa/m-p/7029405#M12516

<--The upgrade path will be as below,

TS201XXXX-> TS230XXXX-> TS250XXXX-> TS252P005

Where XXXX represents any version-->

I can update firmware to TS252P001 (I couldn't get the last one) without any intermediate firmware updates. Am I right?

Yes you are correct and the same information mentioned here as well,

https://h41111.www4.hpe.com/storage/msafirmware.html

"UPGRADE NOTE: If upgrading from an older version of firmware it may require a multiple step process to get to TS252. If below TS230 then upgrade to TS230P008 first, then TS240P004, and then TS250P003 before upgrading to TS252P005. If the firmware is between the mentioned versions, it is recommended to follow through the steps as well.
If multiple upgrade steps are required, it is recommended that HPE Support is engaged in the upgrade process."

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
SarBazz
Occasional Advisor

First of all, I want to express my gratitude for your helping.  Thank you!

I updated my MSA 2 day ago and it created 4 snapshots (1 snap for 1 vd per day), so I think it works.

tomereynolds
Occasional Advisor

What version of the firmware did you install on your MSA P2000 G3?