4587 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HPE Policy on End of Life gear

TigerRool10-1
Advisor

HPE Policy on End of Life gear

Hi There

If HPE release a new product do they ensure that that new product is compatible with products that are recently End of Life.

For example from what I can read the 900GB SAS 10k 12GB disk Model Number EG0900JFCKB is compatible with G1 - G7 servers.  Does that mean its not compatible with G9 servers?  Do HPe release a new disk for the G8-G9 servers? What happens if a someone (a friend of mine!) has bought a disk without checking the Model Number and starts to notice performance issues that he cannot explain?

What about old storage array compatibility with disks;  the disk fits in the slot - but thats that mean the disk and the storage are compatible?

SPOCK doe snot provide this level of detail about compatibility - the release notes do not seem to provide this level of detail on compatibility.

fresh
6 REPLIES 6

@TigerRool10-1 

It seems your query related to Servers so request you to post the same in correct product forum.

If you would have ask the same for MSA then I would suggest to refer the below matrix always to check for supported drives,

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c04315770

Then copy the Spare part number for respective drive model and search in HPE Partsurfer there you can see that particular drive applicable to what all products,

https://partsurfer.hpe.com/Search.aspx?searchText=787647-001

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

***********************************************************************************

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
TigerRool10-1
Advisor

thanks I'll post on the server site -

From the MSA point of view it looks like the 2040 and the disk I'm using are compatible.

fresh
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

technically speaking no G7 and older disk is compatible to Gen8 and newer, because starting with Gen8 a new "smart" disk carrier is used.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

TigerRool10-1
Advisor

Hi There

I'm getting contradictory information from the HPE web site about MSA 2040 and Disk compatibility

This HPE link says that the MSA supports "900GB SAS HDD MSA - 12 Gb/s transfer rate, 10,000 rpm, 2.5-inch SFF, Enterprise"

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-c03820001

However this HPE Link says that 12GB/s disks are supported at 6Gb/s

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-a00003676en_us

There is a huge difference is price between a 6Gb/s disk and a 12Gb/s disk. 

Should I only purchase 6gb/s disks for the MSA 2040?

Ta,

fresh

You need to look at the backend Speed of the Chassis. For MSA2040 only 6G backend speed supported so even if you use 12Gb/s drive but effective speed will be 6Gb/s only. Please find MSA2040 Chassis details,

Chassis 2U24 6Gb MSA 2040 - Will accept one or two MSA 2040 SAN or SAS controllers - Holds Twenty-Four 2.5-inch Small Form Factor (SFF) drives
639410-001
Chassis 2U12 6Gb MSA 2040 - Will accept one or two MSA 2040 SAN or SAS controllers - Holds twelve 3.5-inch Large Form Factor (LFF) drives
717869-001

So the information mentioned not wrong. It's just that 12Gb/S drives supported or not. Yes they are supported but they will be downgraded to 6Gb/s

So yes you can save some $ by selecting 6Gb/s speed drives for MSA2040

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

***********************************************************************************

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
TigerRool10-1
Advisor

thanks Subhajit

understood. I'll purchase 6gb/s disks from now on.

fresh