5788 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HSG80 Connections via Meshed Fabric Switches

SOLVED
Go to solution
Lee Foster

HSG80 Connections via Meshed Fabric Switches

Hi, I have 4 HSG80 Controllers in a dual bus configuration, basically 2 controllers for all disks in channel 1 of the 6 disk trays. and 2 controllers for channel 2 in the disk trays. I have 2 SANSWITCH16 FC Switches and i have connected them together, i now see 4 connection paths for each WWN or WWPN. Is there a way to mask this, or does anybody know of a sensible naming convention for this. Currently is use Naming like so
EX01-A1/1
EX01-A1/2 For HBA 1

EX01-A2/1
EX01-A2/2 For HBA 2

I am aware that the max characters for connection names is 9. However i do not want this to look too confusing?

Any ideas?
4 REPLIES 4
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor
Solution

Lee,
a 'high availability' configuration requires two separate fabrics. I would remove the connection between both switches, because it provides no advantage - it just fills your connection table.

You could cut the number down by zoning, but then the connection isn't needed as well.

Your naming looks fine. I put the FCA number at the server name and have the HSG controller and port indicator at the end of the name, but that is just personal taste. It is important that it works for you.
Lee Foster

Okay thanks for that. What if i have an MSL6000 Tape library with the NDR attached to only one of the switches. I know that all host are dual attached to the fabric switches,However lets say Secure path switches to the other HBA which is connected to the second switch, Now that particualr host will be unable to tsee the NDR.Thats really the only reason i wanted to join the switches? Your thoughts mate
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Hello Lee,

Secure Path is a multipath handler for individual disk LUNs - it does not 'hard switch' between fibre channel adapters. That way you can distribute your LUNs over both HSG-80 controllers in a storage array. I don't know what OS you are using, but on Windows or HP-UX, for example, you can see all paths to a device.

I have heard a rumor that a future version of Secure Path might be able to provide multipathing for tape LUNs, too, but for now you must make sure that a server only has one path to a tape drive / robotic.
Lee Foster

Okay thanks for the info, well helpfull