4546 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Hard Rest HP MSA 2040

Ahmed_Aljiledi
Occasional Advisor

Hard Rest HP MSA 2040

Hello

I can't connect to the Management Services include all of them SSH, TELNET, HTTPS, and CLI.

but the Disk Volumes still accessible by server and all VMs works fine without any issue.

when try to connect over HTTPS, the answer is "the Page Not Found"

when try to connect over SSH or Telnet, the connection was established and ask for user and password, when enter a correct credential the connection will be termnated "cut off connection and close the terminal", but when try to enter a wrong credential it shows wrong user or password.

when try to connect over Mini USB for console connection with the right console setting, the connection was established and ask for user and password, when enter a correct credential it shown the following error

home/appuser/appshell: line 34: mccli: not found

------------------------------------------------------------

Trying the following without any result:

1: unplugging the power cable from storage for hours, and insure stop LED blinking on controllers.

2: try working with one controller only.

3: try to plug the controller without flash card

4: try removing all HDD.

5: try UPgrade firmware with cp039922.exe

6: try to make a reset password with the user restoredefaults and SN of the controller, without any result just show many errors.

7: try to change the controller slots, without any result, but I see the IP not saved on the controller because when changing Controller B to slot A, the controller B take the IP that used by the controller A.

so there is any way to hard reset the whole storge, the data is not necessary I swapped it to another storage.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Shawn_K
HPE Pro

Hello,

For resetting the password you need to be direct attached to the controller using the USB cable. You cannot run this command via Telnet or SSH. Be sure to use an "s" at the end of the command.

CLI# restoreusers

There is no one single command to wipe the entire system, due to the  risk of data loss. 

Cheers,
Shawn

I work for Hewlett Packard Enterprise. The comments in this post are my own and do not represent an official reply from HPE. No warranty or guarantees of any kind are expressed in my reply.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

jt_wtbts

We have seen this many times with our MSA's. This is an issue with the older firmware. It seems the OS gets corrupted.

Unfortunately, we have not found a way to recover the controller, as you cannot login by any means.

We have always had to get a replacement controller from HP. Then once the controller is installed and synced to the active controllers FW, we immediately upgrade to a GL250 FW version to avoid this from happening again.

I am curious if using the 3.5mm COM ports (service only ports) there may be a secret way to recover, but we have not tried this yet.

Shawn_K
HPE Pro

Hello,

The issue is not that the firmware gets corrupted but that available threads become exhausted. When this happens it does not leave a thread to use for login. There are several reasons this may occur. One is by not signing out of either SMU or CLI connections so that the threads in use are not released correctly and returned as available. There have also been improvements in newer firmware to time out unused threads to return them to an available state.

Keeping the system upgraded does help to avoid known issues which have been fixed in newer code. If you wish to check your firmware on your system you can now do so easily by checking this link: www.hpe.com/storage/msafirmware

Also, to check the overall health of your system and any available firmware versions you can use our new MSA Health Check Tool at the following link: www.hpe.com/storage/MSAHealthCheck

Download your MSA Log File from your MSA array
Upload the MSA Log File into the MSA Health Check website
Review the results by clicking through the tabs and saving the PDF report
Links to array, enclosure, and drive firmware are provided for easy access

Cheers,
Shawn

I work for Hewlett Packard Enterprise. The comments in this post are my own and do not represent an official reply from HPE. No warranty or guarantees of any kind are expressed in my reply.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo