MSA Storage

Re: Hot pluggable for MSA 2052 drives

SOLVED
Go to solution
DiagoFernandes
Advisor

Hot pluggable for MSA 2052 drives

Hi there,

I have MSA 2052 SAN storage with 6 x 800gb SSD drives and 13 x 900gb SAS drives.

For some reason there were back to back failures on two drives out of 13 x 900gb SAS drives with part # 873371-001.

Capture.JPG

Upon closure examination, it was noticed our of 13 x 900gb SAS drives, the ones that failure occured was with model EH000900JWCPN with firmware HPD6. This is the same part 873371-001.

Now all the drives are working well but the replacement drive sent to me is same model EH000900JWCPN which I consider is failure prone as opposed to EH000900JWHPP.

Question: If I am to buy new drive with same part 873371-001 and with model EH000900JWHPP, can I just replace my  EH000900JWCPN  with EH000900JWHPP without causing an issue for the array or data store?

My aim is to ensure all my 900gb SAS drives with part 873371-001 are with model EH000900JWHPP which I consider are safe and not prone to failure.

Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4

@DiagoFernandes 

Yes your understanding is correct.

Depends upon RAID configured for the VDGs you go for replacement of drives accordingly. It's always good to replace one drive at a time and wait for rebuild to complete before go for next drive. 

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
DiagoFernandes
Advisor

@SUBHAJIT KHANBARMAN_1 

Thank you for your prompt and concise reply. 

Any question for you: We have 13 x 900gb SAS drives. All on RAID 5.

If I'm to buy one more 900gb SAS drive and plug it to the MSA and mark it as global spare, will this be added to the disk array or will it be kept as spare until a failure on one of the 13 disk occur and then automarically take the global spare disk and rebuit it and be used?

Thank you. 

Solution

@DiagoFernandes 

Yes if you buy another 900gb SAS drive then you can configure as Global spare and this is right thinking as well. In future any of the 13 drives if failed then this Global spare will kick in for them to rebuild data.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
DiagoFernandes
Advisor

@SUBHAJIT KHANBARMAN_1 

Thank you. You are awesome!!!!