4086 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

How to clean old used disk on a MSA 2040

lolodenissa
Occasional Contributor

How to clean old used disk on a MSA 2040

Hi all

To replace a wrong disk I used a disk from antohezr MSA 2040 not used.

The unused MSA wasn't cleanned before so the disk I pluuged has a old configuration. The old disk-group appearred in quarantine one htre MSA and I can't used the replaced disk.

I didn't find any command to clean this disk.

Any idea to put this disk in clean mode to use it ?

Thanks for help.

8 REPLIES 8

Re: How to clean old used disk on a MSA 2040

You can run below command to clear the drive metadata,

# clear disk-metadata <disk_location>

or you can check the GUI option as below,

This command clears metadata from leftover disks only. If you specify disks that are not leftovers, the disks are not
changed.
To clear metadata from leftover disks
1. In the System topic, select Action > Clear Metadata. The Clear Metadata panel opens.
2. Select the leftover disks from which to clear metadata.
3. Click OK.
4. Click Yes to continue. Otherwise, click No. If you clicked Yes, the metadata is cleared.
5. Click OK.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
lolodenissa
Occasional Contributor

Hi

tjs for the reply.

I already tried this command and the ouput is "Error: The specified disk is not a leftover disk. (1.6) - Metadata was not cleared for one or more disks" and the "clear meta-data on system-action" is not accessible (grey).

The problem is the disk-group associated in quarataine, this disk-group doesn't exist on my MSA but existed before.

Tks

If you have identified any unknown or not required or unwanted disk-group which is actually because some drive still holding the metadata of that disk-group you are seeing this.

Delete this Disk-group either by using disk-group name or serial number of disk-group

# remove disk-groups <Disk-group_name>

That will make the drive in AVAIL state like a new drive

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
lolodenissa
Occasional Contributor

Error: The remove operation failed because the disk group is virtual. - Disk group GroupeVirtuel_Donnees was NOT deleted.

lolodenissa
Occasional Contributor

FYI

My case is exactly this one ==> https://community.hpe.com/t5/msa-storage/msa-1050-diskgroup-quarantined-qtof/td-p/7071896#.Xr0AS8BS_IU

No solution except call the support ?

I thought you are dealing with drive which is having different MSA Vdisk information which is nothing but linear array related. As your issue related to Virtual Disk Group (VDG) so follow below steps only,

There are two possibilities here,

1> Replace the disk

or

2> Open a support case with HPE Support because our engineering team can only delete offline or QTOF VDG. This solution not available in any public document or forum

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
Shawn_K
HPE Pro

Hello, 

Please clarify what your issue actually is. Are you trying to remove a previous disk-group that you no longer need? Or are you trying to recover a disk-group in quarantine? Depending on what you are trying to do the solution will differ.

If you are trying to clean a disk and remove all previous data and disk-group information you need to get the disk into a leftover state before removing the metadata. This action will cause permenant  data loss and the data/disk-group cannot be recovered.

If you wish to recover a quarantined disk-group then you need to de-quarantine the disk-group and try to bring the disk-group into an online state for recovery. In this case, opening a Support ticket will assist you better. Data recovery should not be done in an online forum but through a log analysis with corrective steps.

Please provide the clarification so we can assist if possible.

Cheers,
Shawn

I work for Hewlett Packard Enterprise. The comments in this post are my own and do not represent an official reply from HPE. No warranty or guarantees of any kind are expressed in my reply.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

Adminilingo
Established Member

Hi,

i have no data to save

disk-group with 3 disk(Raid 5). I lost 2 disks, now i have only 1 disk in this disk-group and i can't delete it (forcin)

I want to delete everything pools-diskgroup....etc but i cant 

Pls Help..