1751807 Members
4784 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion

How to configure a P2000 MSA Array System Dual I/O LFF- Help Needed

tarmac100
Occasional Visitor

How to configure a P2000 MSA Array System Dual I/O LFF- Help Needed

Hi, Tried to install a new HP P2000 MSA for a client today.  We are connecting the P2000 directly to SAS Card in our HP Server.

Installed 2 x 3TB drives no problem. Drives show up in the BIOS and in VSphere no problem.

We want to setup a new RAID 1 array using the new SAN. I assumed running the array config (F5) on boot would allow me to create the array, but HP Smart Storage does not see the new device or drives.

I spent hours looking online for assistance. Any HP docs mention connecting to the SAN by CLI or Ethernet port.  Neither of which we have on the SAN. We have two separate IN/OUT SAN connections which we have connected to our SAS card in the Server. I have also seen suggestions to use the SMU to configure RAID in the new array. Again, I cannot see how to access or run the SMU.

How can we configure RAID on the device if the HP SMart Storage software cannot see the device. Completely stuck here so any help appreciated!

Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Re: How to configure a P2000 MSA Array System Dual I/O LFF- Help Needed

Hi, 

it sounds like you have an P2000 disk enclosure. The P2000 controllers (which run SMU and where one can configure RAID) are not part of this enclosure. Usually these P2000 disk enclosures are connected to a P2000 controller pair and then servers are connected to the controllers.

I haven't heard anybody use them like this. But anyway it seems to be working. So, the P2000 shelf has no RAID controller. Which SAS card did you connect the P2000 disk shelf to? 
If that SAS card does not have RAID functionality then you need to configure RAID from the OS.

https://communities.vmware.com/thread/501846 says that ESX does not support software RAID.

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Does the controller look like this?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
tarmac100
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for the reply.

The SAS card in the Server is a HP H221 Host Bus Adapter. 

We assumed that the Enclosure connects to this SAS Card and then HP Intelligent Provisioning/Smart Start would pick up the the device and allow us to configure RAID here.

Are we missing something for this to work or is there a software solution that will allow us to access the new drives and configure RAID?

Thanks

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

@tarmac100: check Torsten's post. Is that how the back of the P2000 you have look like?

tarmac100
Occasional Visitor

I think we may be missing a RAID controller, could you confirm if the following SAS Controller Card would work instead for us - HP Smart Array P212/256MB Controller

It supports RAID based on looking it up online. I am hoping this is all we are missing.

If this Card is suitable will it just be a case of running the HP SMart storage setup again from F5 on boot.

Thanks.

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

First we need to know what kind of disk chassis you really have! A smart array controller will not support a P2000. But maybe you have something like a D2700?

Just in case this is a P2000 ... connect an ethernet cable to the LAN port. If you have DHCP, the controller will get an IP. If no DHCP, the controller A has 10.0.0.2, B has 10.0.0.3.

Point your browser to this address and log on (manage/!manage) to get the SMU.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

tarmac100
Occasional Visitor

Apologies, no the back of it does not look like that. We only have two sets of two SAS interfaces in the back of the drive enclosure marked in and out. One of these is currently connected directly to the SAS card in our server.

I think now we just need to get a SAS Controller card for the Server which supports RAID but if someone could confirm this that would be great. Thanks.

tarmac100
Occasional Visitor

Just to confirm, here's the interfaces we have at the back of the p2000 drive enclosure. First time installing one of these. We assumed we just needed a SAS interface on the Server to connect the above. Please advise if we can use a better SAS Controller card like the one mentioned above to configure RAID on our drives. Thank you.

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

This is the P2000 expansion chassis controller (AP844B), not a P2000 at all. It is only supported as an expansion to a "real" P2000, but not standalone.

Even it may work direct connected to a server, it remains unsupported!

Good luck!

Better get a (used) P2000 and use your chassis as an expansion or swap the controllers, see

http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetPDF.aspx/c04168365.pdf

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.