MSA Storage
1753789 Members
7463 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to find the serial number on an MSA 2012?

Chris S. S.
Occasional Contributor

How to find the serial number on an MSA 2012?

I have recently purchased an MSA 2012 fc Dual controller storage unit. Now I need the serial number of the device to register the HP care pack.

I would believe it is possible to find through the Storage Management Utility, but I hav not been able to. Where should I look for it? Any other places to look for the serial number?
4 REPLIES 4
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

hi ,

if you connect using the cli (serial cable supplied with the array) and do "show configuration" that should get you the controller serial numbers.

hope this helps

Chris S. S.
Occasional Contributor

Thaks for your reply Mark. I did access the CLI (thorgh Telnet, much easier than using the serial cable) and executed the show config command as suggested. It did list a lot of information, uncluding a bunch of serial numbers for controllers, disks etc. But which on is THE serial number for the entire storage unit, the one I need to input to register my care pack? I have tried with the controller serial numbers but they are not accepted, so it must be a different one.
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

chris,

i don't think the enclosure has one, the care packs come with a serial number to register with.

hope this helps
Chris S. S.
Occasional Contributor

I got HP Care Pack services to register it manually. They could not either tell me how to find the correct serial no so I supplied the midplane serial no.