108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to introduce MSA30 to RHEL?

SOLVED
Go to solution
mirzek
Advisor

How to introduce MSA30 to RHEL?

I have a Hp proliant ML370 server and a MSA30 storage.

I installed RHEL on the Proliant server and running.

I want to introduce MSA30 to RHEL. How to introduce MSA30?

P.S. This thread has been moved from General to Storage Area Networks (SAN) (Small and Medium Business). - Hp forum Moderator

8 REPLIES 8
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

That depends on what controller the MSA30 is connected to, as the MSA30 is just a disk shelf.

If the MSA30 is connected to a SmartArray controller, once you've configured the array then RedHat will see the devices as something like /dev/cciss/c0d1

Create a partition on that device with fdisk, then create a file system on that partition with mkfs (or similar).

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Rob
mirzek
Advisor

Thanks your reply,

You say, "once you've configured the array then ..."

How to can i configure array?
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Assuming that it's a SmartArray controller, you'll get a prompt whilst the machine's booting... You'd normally hit F8 to get into the array configuration utility.

Cheers,

Rob
mirzek
Advisor

I am knowing, I can configured on the server disks whilst the machine's booting via F8 but I dont know, can i configured MSA30 storage disks raid configure via botting F8?

Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

As I said originally, it depends on what controller the MSA30 is connected to...

Cheers,

Rob
mirzek
Advisor

We have been using Smartarray controller.

Can you say, how to must i do raid configuration on MSA30? I can use whilst booting server press F8 for MSA30 raid configuration.
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

It would be useful to know exactly how you have your hardware configured...

However assuming that the MSA30 is hooked up to the external port of a SmartArray controller in the ML370, then you should be able to configure the disks in the same way as you would configure internal disks.

Hit F8, when prompted during the server POST, to get into the array configuration.

Select the disks that you want to use for an array (the disks should flash orange when they're selected in ACU) and create a logical drive.

When you're back in RedHat you should be able to see the new disks as /dev/cciss/cXdY. (where X is the controller number and Y is the logical disk on that controller)

Cheers,

Rob
mirzek
Advisor

Thanks a lot Rob.

You are a good man.