4936 Online
108784 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

How to remove a D2700 Disk Enclosure from a P2000 G3

Bernd Schlaupitz
Occasional Advisor

How to remove a D2700 Disk Enclosure from a P2000 G3

Hello,

I have a HPE MSA P2000 G3 FC with a connected Disk Enclosure D2700 using the Expansion Port through an also connected MSA70. (P2000 G3 <-> MSA70 <-> D2700)

Now I need to remove this Enclosure (D2700) to plug it to another Storage.

What is the recommended procedure for this? Can I simply unplug this device online (hot-unplug)?

How I prevent the removed Enclosure will be marked as "failed" afterwards?

Thank you already.

kind regards Bernd

3 REPLIES 3
SahanaR
HPE Pro

Re: How to remove a D2700 Disk Enclosure from a P2000 G3

Hello Bernd,

To safely hot unplug the last D2700 disk enclosure make sure you have not provisioned any vdisk and volume by using its drives.

If you have any,I recommend you to take backup and delete them.

After this the drives in D2700 should be in "available" state,which means they are not part of any configuration.

Then at the rear end of D2700 there must be a power button I believe,you can power off using that and unplug the expansion cable from MSA 70 or directly unplug the expansion cables.

Logically this shouldnt affect the existing data,but to be safe you could try these action during a scheduled downtime.

Also if you want to proceed with the recommend steps and not sure how to go about it,I would recommend you to please log a support ticket with us.

I hope this was helpful!

Sahana@R
I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
ArunKKR
HPE Pro

Hi Bernd,

Delete any vdisks creating using hard drives in D2700 disk enclosure.

All the hard drives in D2700 disk enclosure should appear in available state.

Shut down the controllers through SMU.

Remove the power to MSA controller enclosure, MSA 70 and D2700 disk enclosure after 3-5 minutes.

Disconnect the SAS cables to D2700 disk enclosure.

Provide power to MSA 70 enclosure, wait for 2-3 minutes for drives to spin up  , provide power to MSA controller enclosure, wait for 5-7 minutes for controllers to initialize.

I would suggest to have a data back up before proceeding with these steps.

While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

ArunKKR
HPE Pro

Hi Bernd,

Please let us know whether the information shared helped.

While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo