1752513 Members
5020 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Hp-Ux new unit addition on Msa1000 storage

Korhan Altan_1
Occasional Advisor

Hp-Ux new unit addition on Msa1000 storage

Hi, I have configured 2 Hp-Ux servers with 2 units on an Msa1000 box with 2/8 Switch. One using Unit 0, the other using Unit 1. Afterwards I have added 2 new units, setup acl for servers but cannot see new disk units on Hp-Ux. Is there any limitations or any setup to be made for extra units ?

thanks ...
10 REPLIES 10
tharrold
Frequent Advisor

If you have two controllers in your MSA, only one will be active. (the other is passive, and will present LUNs, but they cannot be accessed, so you can't add them to VG's as redundant PVlink)

Assuming that your ACLs are correct, be sure you have use the correct host profile. (show profiles from the CLI)

HP-UX uses volume set addressing, different from the "default" profile.

Just to cover the obvious, did you run "ioscan -fnC disk" on the HP-UX hosts, followed by "insf"?

-tjh
Korhan Altan_1
Occasional Advisor

Hi Thomas, as a matter of fact I can see the new devices after ioscan command but instead of using insf I prefer adding via SAM because previous units were available through Sam and it was so easy to add them to VG but through Sam console i cannot see new devices.
As being not an Hp-Ux expert can you tell me how to install these new devices using insf command ?

Thanks
tharrold
Frequent Advisor

If you see the devices in ioscan, see if they have device files associated.

Look for /dev/rdsk/ctd

If device files do not exist, run insf (no options). This will create device files for any devices that do not have them.

Alternatively, you can run "insf -e" to re-create ALL device files on the system.

If this works (ioscan -funC disk) now shows the device files, then you may be done. Go back into SAM and use your disks.

If that doesn't work, let me know.

-tjh
Korhan Altan_1
Occasional Advisor

Hi, all device files exist in the /dev/rdsk directory. this is the output of ioscan -funC disk command. number 48 is available on the system but 15 and 49 are not.

disk 48 0/6/1/0.1.0.0.0.0.0 sdisk CLAIMED DEVICE COMPAQ MSA1000 VOLUME

/dev/dsk/c4t0d0 /dev/rdsk/c4t0d0

disk 15 0/6/1/0.1.0.0.0.0.2 sdisk CLAIMED DEVICE COMPAQ MSA1000 VOLUME

/dev/dsk/c4t0d2 /dev/rdsk/c4t0d2

disk 49 0/6/1/0.1.0.0.0.0.3 sdisk CLAIMED DEVICE COMPAQ MSA1000 VOLUME

/dev/dsk/c4t0d3 /dev/rdsk/c4t0d3
tharrold
Frequent Advisor

Can you get to the CLI of your array? (serial connection)

You may have the wrong unit profile set. HP-UX uses volume set addressing.

I also see a gap in the LUNs. (0,2,3)

When you do a "show units" from the CLI, is there a unit that is not assigned to your HP host?

Korhan Altan_1
Occasional Advisor

Hi again, unit 1 is assgined to another Hp-Ux host. Also the default profile is set to HP. I have no problem with unit 0 and unit 1.
tharrold
Frequent Advisor

OK, then, can you do the following:

pvcreate /dev/rdsk/c4t0d3
pvcreate /dev/rdsk/c4t0d4

If this works (writing LVM headers to the LUNs), then you are OK, and the issue may lie with SAM, not with the LUNs themselves.

-tjh
tharrold
Frequent Advisor

One other think I can think of, if the pvcreate does not work.

run ioscan -fnC disk to force re-scan of the LUNs. then run insf.

After this completes, run "ioscan -funC disk" again, to see if any new devices were created, and if any old devices show "NO_HW".

-tjh
Korhan Altan_1
Occasional Advisor

Hi, unfortunately none has worked. Everthing looks OK on MSA CLI and I can see the devices after ioscan but in no way can I see them in Sam console. I have already added one more unit to the other Hp-Ux system, but the same thing happened on it too. maybe I can try to add disks to VG manually from command console ?