1753844 Members
7705 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ISL MSA SAN Switch 2/8

CA1336144
Occasional Advisor

ISL MSA SAN Switch 2/8

Hi, I have a MSA 1000 with two MSA SAN Switch 2/8, I want to make a ISL, I have a clear configuration but I recive and error " Domain IDs Overlap". I verify with the islshow command and the isl is present, but when I have devices in the standby controller don't view the luns of the MSA 1000.
Do you know this problem?

Thanks and regards
6 REPLIES 6
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Luis:

First off, you should not ISL 2 MSA 2/8 SAN Switches. In most, if not all, cases... you put your system into an unsupported configuration.

Secondly, in order to ISL 2 SAN Switches, each switch needs to have a unique Domain ID. To change the ID, you will need access to the Network Interface or the Serial Port on the switch. If it is configured, you cna use Telnet or a Web Browser to make the necessary changes. Setting the doain ID requires that you take the switch into "offline" mode.

Can you give us some more information about your setup? Type of servers? OS? How many HBA's per server?

After you tell us, we can discuss your options and try to accomplish your goals.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
CA1336144
Occasional Advisor

Hi Steven.
The configuration is:

One Cluster W2k3 with 2 DL380 and 2 HBA Qlogic every one. Each HBA is connected with a different Switch and Secure Path 4.0C SP 2.1

2 standalone servers DL380 with a 1 HBA every one.

The problem is when change the active controller the 2 standalones server don't access to the MSA 1000 LUNS.

Until now
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Luis:

Sounds like it is working properly.

You stated: The problem is when change the active controller the 2 standalones server don't access to the MSA 1000 LUNS.

This is right because you need a second HBA in each stand alone server to be in a supported configuration. If you try to access your logical units with the same HBA, you can potentially corrupt your data as it is unsuppored on the MSA to access both controllers from the same HBA.

My suggestion is that you get a second HBA and secure path installed on the stand alone servers.

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
CA1336144
Occasional Advisor

I agree for you response.
Thanks very much

Luis Miguel
CA1336144
Occasional Advisor

Hi again Steven.

I have littel question.

When in the "Implementing MSA Storage Solutions" reference book in the plane 4-17 says that the configuration with 2 MSA fabric Switch 6 is supported with an ISL. What does it mean?.
If there are not secure path configuration, then is it supported?

Thanks again.

Luis Miguel
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

The unsupported issue is based on the condition of the same hba accessing the same logical units on both controllers of an MSA. In fact, I believe the ISL is a supported configuration even on 2/8 switches, but you have to take other precautions so that any single hba does not access the same lun from either controller.

This can be accomplished by zoning the switches in a way that only allows the first hba to access the "A" controller and your second HBA to only access the "B" controller. This would allow you to use any extra ports for other devices like Tape Libraries or other fibre connected devices.

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE